Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quick boiler and Expansion Tank Question

I have a gas boiler with piping coming out of the top with a pressure relief valve and a air eliminator that runs over to the expansion tank. Ok . Now my gas hot water heater has the inlet and the outlet. But the outlet comes up and runs to the sinks and that around the house but it also has a Tee in it that breaks off and runs into the piping that goes to the expansion tank. Is that normal? My cold water piping that runs into my water heater also starts getting hot about 6 feet before it even gets into the tank. Is this just normal since we were using a lot of hot water at the time?
    The pressure relief valve also released yesterday, not sure of the cause of that. It was just replaced a few years ago.
    Thanks
    Jtfoxman

Originally posted by jtfoxman View Post
    I have a gas boiler with piping coming out of the top with a pressure relief valve and a air eliminator that runs over to the expansion tank. Ok . Now my gas hot water heater has the inlet and the outlet. But the outlet comes up and runs to the sinks and that around the house but it also has a Tee in it that breaks off and runs into the piping that goes to the expansion tank. Is that normal? My cold water piping that runs into my water heater also starts getting hot about 6 feet before it even gets into the tank. Is this just normal since we were using a lot of hot water at the time?
    The pressure relief valve also released yesterday, not sure of the cause of that. It was just replaced a few years ago.
    Thanks
    I don't know if the question is a test or not. But ok if you have water line that has a tee in it that runs over into a boiler line that goes to the boiler expansion
    tank then that means your boiler system and your domestic water are tied together. if you have a cast iron boiler it will have a 32 LB relief valve. Most house water pressure goes from 40 to 60 LB's . This means that your boiler relief is popping off all the time. an you are drinking water that is mixed with the boiler water, Not too healthy. If this line has a stop valve that is is closed all the time, then it could be a bypass fast fill line. If this line has a stop valve,back flow preventer, and pressure reducing valve, then it would be the automatic feed line to keep the right pressure in the boiler.
    Later Paul
    Last edited by paul52446m; 03-29-2010, 10:45 PM.

Comment

Let me see if I can explain this a little better. I reread my post and it sounds messed up.

Piping comes up out of the boiler and there is a pressure relief valve and a air eliminator right there. This line runs up and hits a pressure valve that controls the pressure for my expansion tank and a shut off valve then it continues onto the expansion tank. The pressure relief valve on top of the boiler popped the other day. I had it replaced 2 years ago because it failed. Onto present day it did it twice this past winter on days when it is not calling for a lot of heat. Most recently yesterday, it is not popping off all the time just twice in the last 6 months. My air eliminator in the basement also leaked water from the top screw cap a few hours before this valve popped. (I also had an eliminator leak the last time the valve popped in the beginning of the heating season. Also one leaked a few weeks ago on my 1st floor. Chalked it up to a build up of gunk that was in the cap.) So I bled the 1 radiator i have in my house, lots of air and checked the other eliminators on my hot water baseboards and they were fine. What would cause this valve to open and release the pressure? About a gallon of water came out and nothing since. I recently had a piece of piping on the boiler replaced that went into my circulator pump on the return line.

My hot water heater has the outlet that runs to the rest of the house faucets, etc and off of this line there is a tee, then a shut off valve and it contiues into the expansion tank piping. This piping connects into the expansion tank piping between the pressure relief valve and the pressure valve controlling the expansion tank. Why does it connect back into the expansion tank piping? Should that valve be turned off on the tee that runs back into the piping going to the expansion tank? Is my boiler water mixing with my hot water and is this ok?

My cold water inlet to the hot water heater gets hot starting about 6 feet before it hits the hot water heater. This line flows to the rest of the house and the hot water heater is tee'd off of this line. This line never connects to the boiler or expansion tank or there lines, only to the house faucets and into the hot water heater. Why would this pipe get hot?

Sorry about the long confusing post before. I hope this one is a little bit better.
      Jtfoxman

Comment

This is still not making since to me , can you take some pic. and then mabe we can see whats going on. later paul

Comment

why is the water heater tied to the boiler in the first place? house heat and domestic water heat are two seperate entities. the boiler has its own pressure relief valve as does the t&p valve on the tank top or side outlet.

Comment

Figured it all out. So many pipes confused the hell out of me. Checked my expansion tank and it seemed like it was water logged. Drained and refilled it and seems fine for now.
            Jtfoxman

Comment

was the bladder collapsed inside?

Comment

Older tank without a bladder.
                Jtfoxman

Comment

Working...
                X
                =