Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• shutters or no shutters or...?

We're building a new home and after seeing shutters on some of the homes already completed, asked to have them put onto our home.

They're on now and we both had pretty much the same reaction when we drove by to see the progress on the house today - ugh.

The first picture is of our house before shutters, then with the shutters we saw on there today, then 2 others of the same floorplan/style, w/diff. bricks and diff. shutter colors/placement (one didn't put them between the upper left windows).

We're starting to lean toward just asking them to take them off completely , but if they must stay b/c of whatever they had to do to the brick to put them on in the first place, then they absolutely will have to have something done to them - darker, I think....

Thoughts on all of this? We have our first walk through on the house in 2 weeks - help!

This is the house before they put the shutters on:

following are 2 other houses in the neighborhood that are the same style house, but with diff. brick/shutters

and

-CAB
    Last edited by cablevins; 04-02-2010, 12:19 AM. Reason: typos

Shutters...

Most definately do need shutters. Most definately not THOSE shutters! This is definately an opinion...

Comment

thanks for your input - any suggestions?

Your reply made me laugh - thanks

Comment

Those light shutters do not complement the structure. The dark(er) shutters on the other houses do!
        Ya got to find something different.

Comment

Thanks for the input -

What do y'all think about having the shutters between the windows - the tooo light shutters they put on ours, are only on the outsides of the windows - the pictures of the other houses in the neighborhood w/shutters have them between the windows also....

thoughts?

Comment

shutters at one point in time were functional, not just decorative. they were installed and used in pairs. its all a matter of preference.

Comment

Installed in pairs...

Now that IS interesting...I didn't notice there weren't any in between the windows. That puts it even more off balance to me eyes. I agree with Hayzee. There needs to be a balance of shutters and color-wise something more complimentary.

Comment

Window treatment...

A closer look shows some very nice overhead brickwork with a nice key stone in the center. Am wondering if there'd be a way to accent the side bricking along with the sill and overhead?
                Since you have some nice before pics of your house, print several copies in color and use color pencils to draw in variations of shutters, and even the brick treatment. Maybe accenting the mortar joints in those areas...local painting of those bricks (with and without the mortar joints)....coloring pictures first will greatly help in directing a decision.
                Last edited by mrcaptainbob; 04-03-2010, 09:58 PM. Reason: misspellings...

Comment

Working...
                X
                =