Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Painting latex over bondo

I bought a bunch of crown moulding and as I put it up I saw 2 pcs had some nice junks in them. In the past I have always used car bondo to patch those types of problems. My question is, once I use the bondo can those areas be painted over with a regular latex paint? The reason I use car bondo is because wood filler never would hold in the damaged areas.

have you ever tried DURHAM'S water putty? This stuff is a pale yellow powder that mixes with water. It can be drilled, tapped like a machine screw and stained. For areas thicker than 1/4 inch allow a 24 hr cure time.

Comment

Originally posted by bja1016 View Post
      I bought a bunch of crown moulding and as I put it up I saw 2 pcs had some nice junks in them. In the past I have always used car bondo to patch those types of problems. My question is, once I use the bondo can those areas be painted over with a regular latex paint? The reason I use car bondo is because wood filler never would hold in the damaged areas.
      I have never seen any sort of paint that had a problem with bondo. About the only negative property I ever found with the stuff is its ability to suck up water from the back side and blister the paint from behind. Not exactly a problem you find in a house. The other thing about bondo is how cheap it is for a fairly solid repair that will keep in the can for years or until the next fender gets crunched.

Comment

if it is used for a car repair, it's usually primed with a gray varnish primer. never seen it covered with any latex product, but I imagine it could be.
        Durham water putty would work best for wood areas. It's porous enough to accept latex and oil based primers.

Comment

Sure hope the OP found a solution before now, it's been almost 2 years.
          Little about a lot and a lot about a little.
          Every day is a learning day.

Comment

Driz was the guy that opened it again!

Comment

Working...
            X
            =