Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kitchen Cabinets too short?

Got some kitchen base cabinets that are approx 31'' tall. Im looking to install a dishwasher without having to install all new cabinets first. Already has a 3" toe kick (included in the 31"). Any idea how I could best go about getting an extra two or three inches so I can install the DW under the counter tops without having to cut into them?

AS the cabinets are installed there is little you can do easily to accommodate the dishwasher. Normal kitchen cabinets are 34.5" tall (before the counter top). In your case you have little option but to cut the counter top. If you have the space you could get yourself a movable dishwasher, these come with a kind of cabinet already around them and a top on them, they are designed to be movable.
    Little about a lot and a lot about a little.
    Every day is a learning day.

Comment

Would it be possible to remove the counter top and add a 2inch thick piece of wood in the shape of the entire counter tops underneath the counter top and then replace the counter top back on? Not really sure how that would look.. watcha think?

Comment

Yes you could cut the counter top to allow the 24" you need for the dishwasher, then make a kind of box over it and put the top back on, you'd have to finish the sides some way. I think the biggest problem would be that the dishwasher needs to be close to the sink so any increase in height might become problematic.

Comment

The spot I want to put the dishwasher is next to the sink. Our base cabinets make an L shape. What I was thinking was remove the entire counter top. drop a 2inch thick L shape on top of the entire counter top, cut out for the sink. And then set the counter top back down with an additional 2 inches of height added for the entire base cabinets. That way I wouldnt have to cut our counter tops to make room for the DW. Sound like it would work?

Comment

Yes if your prepared to remove the entire counter top then build up the top of the base cabinets the extra 2" and replace the counter top, that would work.
            Don't forget that your going to need to add 2" material to the tops of all cabinet surfaces not just the front and back but also the edges in between running perpendicular to the front and back (side of individual cabinets).
            You will also have to attach some "L" brackets to the new 2" raised material to screw through to hold the counter top down.

Comment

I'm a contractor and the cabinets I use from TheRTAStore.com have a 6" filler that you can purchase. Alternatively, just mount the cabinet 6-8 inches down from teh top, and put some decorations on top. It'll look nice, Hope this helps!

Comment

Working...
              X
              =