Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rebuilding old cinder block pump house

Hi everyone, very new to this forum and wanted to get everyone’s thought on a project I plan on working on this summer. As well I hope I have posted this in the right location.

On our family farm, sits an old pump house or pump tower, not sure on the age but I would guess it to have been built somewhere between 1900-1920’s. About ¾ of the ways up is a poured cement pad on two to three I-beams which at one time would have housed the large water holding tank which in turn gravity provided pressure to the house.

Need to measure it but I would estimate the size around 14’ x 14’ and around 25’ high.

It was last repaired in in the 1950’s (way before my time), but what they did was patch up the outside corners with regular concrete and also inside they poured a cove of concrete in two corners up to the concrete slab. They also patched up some minor mortar cracks. All appear to be done with concrete. Will attach pictures I have on hand right now and will attach more later of the areas that need repair. Luckily there is no lean, buckling, or horizontal shears.

My plan this summer:
    - tear and put a new roof on, re-frame the door, and reframe the small openings on sides
    -repair both minor and major cracks
    - somehow shore up or brace the wall from the inside.
    -finally once completed apply a sealer and cross my fingers that my repairs will last for another 60 years.

For the masonary side here are my thoughts:
    -hairline cracks – moisten with water and apply grout of of Portland cement and water
    -minor cracks – will undercut with cold chisel, will prime the area with a direct mixture of Portland cement and water or if need be with only water, fill in with concrete (1 part Portland cement and 2 ½ parts sand)
    -major cracks along mortar (can see them in pictures)- will clean out and chisel where need be, will prime the area with a direct mixture of Portland cement and water or if need be with only water, fill in with concrete (one part Portland cement, two parts sand, and three parts gravel)
    -for any holes and corner areas will go same route as major cracks. Might have to get creative and come up with some sort of plywood form to keep everything smooth and looking good.
    - for the inside bracing I have several thoughts, one is to pour concrete coves in the corners by making a form that sits diagnonally across the corners and fillip up with concrete and reinforced with rebar/chicken wire (see attached sketch). The other idea is to create colums against all four sides.

Have all the necessary tools and material readily available (cement mixer, tractor w/ bucket, scaffolding, etc.)

Curious on everyones thoughts about tackling this.

Cinder blocks...

I know nothing about what you need. Just want to comment on how beautiful that structure is and can see why you want to save it....

Comment

If it shows no lean or buckling why are you thinking about reinforcing the corners ?

It's a cool building btw.
      Little about a lot and a lot about a little.
      Every day is a learning day.

Comment

Hi, thanks for the comments.

Was thinking that if I did the corners it would help to give some added strength to the walls, little bit of ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

Hopefully help out for the next 50-100 years.

Comment

MY thoughts would be that if after almost 100 years there is no sign of movement in the walls, then there probably isn't going to be any soon.
          The I beams and concrete pad 3/4 the way up are tieing the walls into themselves, check to see what gap if any there is between the concrete slab and the building walls, when they poured the slab they would have used the walls as a form so the concrete would have been hard up against the walls, I'd expect some shrinkage but nothing remarkable.

Your idea to pour concrete in the corners would only work if you installed anchor bolts into both walls and then encased them in the concrete, you could use just the rebar BUT they would need to be chemically anchored into the wall.
          If you were going to go to this effort you could just use big "L" brackets with concrete anchor bolts, if you have access to a welder you could bend up into an "L" some 1 1/2" plate x 1/2" thick and then weld a brace from one corner to the other, drill a hole in either side and anchor bolt this to the wall and install two or three to each corner..........save a lot of time and money for probably a better result.
          Little about a lot and a lot about a little.
          Every day is a learning day.

Comment

Working...
          X
          =