Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Replacing trip lever

Ahh the joys of moving into a "new" home!

I recently moved into a new home and discovered the bathtub trip lever had been installed upside down. This wasn't a problem until I realized that when you go to plug the drain, it is very difficult to engage the trip lever enough to keep the water from slowly draining out. It worked for several months well enough for me to leave it alone, but recently I went to fill the tub and the resistance from the lever was so much that I couldn't get the drain to plug at all.

I took the cover off and removed the trip lever thinking I needed to do something as simple as install it right-side up, but I can't get it to go back in completely. I've adjusted the linkage without success- it either doesn't hold water, or won't sit properly in the pipe. My linkage and stopper is made of plastic- I see that they also come in copper, could the plastic be part of the problem? The linkage is getting bent/warped from all the ways I've tried to get it to go in and I'm thinking it's flexibility must be part of the problem. Any ideas here before I run out and spend the money on a new one?

Part of the joy of owning a new home is the builder warranty...

I would suggest that you make them fix it!
    I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night.
    Now I can Plumb!

For great information on the history of sanitary sewers including the use of Redwood Pipe
    Visit http://www.sewerhistory.org/
    Did you know some Redwood Pipe is still in service today.

Comment

I wish I could! Guess I should have clarified that better- I put the quotes around new because it's a new home to me, but not newly built.....

Comment

Seeing how your drain works and is put together may help you see what you have to do to remove and adjust your stopper have a look at this link.

Once you see how it works your fix should be self evident.
        Post back with any additional questions.
        I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night.
        Now I can Plumb!

For great information on the history of sanitary sewers including the use of Redwood Pipe
        Visit http://www.sewerhistory.org/
        Did you know some Redwood Pipe is still in service today.

Comment

Working...
        X
        =