Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kenmore Dishwasher washer motor not starting

I have a Kenmore Model 363.1532.

When I get ready to start a wash and I turn the dial to the starting point water starts filling the tub but the motor does not start. My first thought was that it might be the switch behind the dial wearing as we always use the same cycle so I changed the options to use the pre-soak cycle. When I brought the dial around it started.

It worked fine for a few days and then it missed. I ran the dial around fully (re-closed the soap door) and tried again and it started up. It required more and more tries over the next few days.

Now, nada.

I am not familiar with dishwashers but I'm pretty handy fixing things if someone can give me an idea of what to check first. Is it likely the switch or the motor assembly? How do I check?

Thanks in advance.

Model number incomplete

Kenmore Model 363.1532
    That model number is incomplete by 4-5 digits. What's the rest of it as listed on the appliance's model and serial number identification tag?

Dan O.
    www.Appliance411.com
    The Appliance Information Site

=D~~~~~~

Comment

The full model number is 363.15329100 It looked like the last 4 were the color so I didn't bother with them.

Comment

Bad timer?

My first thought was that it might be the switch behind the dial wearing so I changed the options to use the pre-soak cycle. When I brought the dial around it started.
        If fiddling with the timer got it working there is a very good chance the contacts inside the timer (aka the switch behind the dial) or its internal timing cam are the problem, usually requiring the timer to be replaced to correct the condition.

LINK > KENMORE 363.15329100 Dishwasher Timer

JMO

Dan O.
        www.Appliance411.com

=D~~~~~~
        Last edited by Dan O.; 05-20-2010, 09:01 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

Thanks. I'll give that a try. Is this a part the local Sears place would carry?

Comment

Originally posted by Padawan

Is this a part the local Sears place would carry?
            Only if it is a popular repair item. You'd better call first. There are hundreds of different timers used in all their models.

JMO

Dan O.
            www.Appliance411.com

=D~~~~~~

Comment

Alright, i replaced the timer last night. Restored power and turned the timer to start...and nada. Same thing as before.

So I let it run to see what happened. At points there was the sound of a motor trying start up but being bound up. After that sound I smelled something like burning contacts.

As I don't know of anything else in the system I'm assuming all that's left is the motor assembly.

What do think? Are there any tests I can do at this point to be sure?

Comment

Restored power and turned the timer to start...and nada.
                It won't even fill??

At points there was the sound of a motor trying start up but being bound up.
                If the motor was getting power but not running, the problem would be in the motor/pump mechanism. I however can't see how fiddling with the timer would change its functioning as you reported previously.

If the motor IS getting power but not running, the pump might just be jammed up internally or the motor has failed. If the motor has failed the whole pump and motor would have to be replaced.

LINK > KENMORE 363.15329100 replacement Pump and Motor Asm.

After that sound I smelled something like burning contacts.
                Isolating the actual source might yield the cause of the problem or at least point to what needs further investigation.

JMO

Dan O.
                www.Appliance411.com

=D~~~~~~

Comment

Working...
                X
                =