Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with AC that won't turn on.

Hi,
    I need a hand diagnosing the issue causing my AC not to turn on. My AC won't turn on but the furnace blower is running.

I've checked that the thermostat is turned to cool and set to a low temp. I've checked all the breakers and service shut offs. The power on the furnace control board is 26VAC between COM and Y. So I have a feeling it is something within the AC unit itself.

Is there anything else I should check or should I just call a local service man?

Originally posted by mackiee View Post
    Hi,
    I need a hand diagnosing the issue causing my AC not to turn on. My AC won't turn on but the furnace blower is running.

I've checked that the thermostat is turned to cool and set to a low temp. I've checked all the breakers and service shut offs. The power on the furnace control board is 26VAC between COM and Y. So I have a feeling it is something within the AC unit itself.

Is there anything else I should check or should I just call a local service man?
    Check to see if you have 220 volts to the condenser out side, If not check out side disconnect and breakers in side. Check to see if you have 24 volts to make the relay in the outdoor unit. Later Paul

Comment

Im having the same problem and what should I check next?

Thanks for any info!!!

Comment

Originally posted by shiznit View Post
        Im having the same problem and what should I check next?

Thanks for any info!!!
        Have you checked to see if you have the 240 volts to the relay of the condenser? Do you have 24 volts going to the relay in the condenser?
        With the power off, check the points in the relay to see if they are clean and
        not burned. Is the stat calling for cooling and the furnace blower comes on?
        Paul

Comment

Is your condensing unit (this is the part of the a/c system which is outside) fan motor working (In other words, is the fan spinning?)?

If not, I would say it is the Capacitor.

Comment

Originally posted by Bill Anderson View Post
            Is your condensing unit (this is the part of the a/c system which is outside) fan motor working (In other words, is the fan spinning?)?

If not, I would say it is the Capacitor.
            He said his out door condenser was not running. Not everything is fixed with a new Capacitor. Paul

Comment

I just wanted to say "thanks", guys! I found this forum while searching for help with my AC this evening. Working fine earlier today, then just quits. Record breaking heat here, and a 7 month pregnant wife...not a good time to lose the AC.

After reading some on this forum, I started testing. Blower kicks on when the t-stat calls for it, check. 240 at relay on outside unit, check. 24v at relay, no-check. Remove cap, push in relay by hand, unit fires up. Aha. Looks like a problem on the low-voltage side, either t-stat, wiring, or relay. None of which are deal-breakers, and all of which should be a cheap fix in the morning (it's 12:30 am right now).

Come inside, and pull the t-stat. No problem at an initial glance, but a closer inspection reveals the yellow wire has broken just above the wire clamp. I'm guessing this is the call-out wire. Strip wire, re-install, re-attach t-stat...and I hear the unit outside fire up. Check ducts, and cold ac is blowing. Re-install relay cover and unit cover.

Wake wife up (she's moved to her "pregnant lady recliner" in the living room), and tell her to move back to bed. Disaster averted.

Thanks again!

Comment

I seem to be having the same problem.
                However, if I give the fan blades a kickstart, the fan will run slowly for about a minute, then finally shut off...it never actually kicks in.

The capacitor is bowed at the top, so I am assuming I need that. (found on online model 160500710133 for $21, need to find a local parts place to get it from)

The fan is hot to the touch....is it going to be blown and need replaced?
                I can't find a fan motor replacement. It's a GE 5KCP39BG. Does anyone have a new cross reference part number and what can I expect to pay if I need to replace it too?

Should I pull the outdoor "fuse" to shut off the outdoor unit to try to save the fan?

Is there anyway to verify the compressor is still good before I spend the money? The entire Payne unit is a contractor model, a 14 year old 73-80% efficiency unit that needs replaced, I just can't afford to at the moment due. Need to get through this year...maybe next.

Thanks!
                BC

Comment

Payne model is PA10Ja030-a

I'm looking at capacitor 160500710133

Comment

Originally posted by bhclark View Post
                    I seem to be having the same problem.
                    However, if I give the fan blades a kickstart, the fan will run slowly for about a minute, then finally shut off...it never actually kicks in.

The capacitor is bowed at the top, so I am assuming I need that. (found on online model 160500710133 for $21, need to find a local parts place to get it from)

The fan is hot to the touch....is it going to be blown and need replaced?
                    I can't find a fan motor replacement. It's a GE 5KCP39BG. Does anyone have a new cross reference part number and what can I expect to pay if I need to replace it too?

Should I pull the outdoor "fuse" to shut off the outdoor unit to try to save the fan?

Is there anyway to verify the compressor is still good before I spend the money? The entire Payne unit is a contractor model, a 14 year old 73-80% efficiency unit that needs replaced, I just can't afford to at the moment due. Need to get through this year...maybe next.

Thanks!
                    BC
                    If you want to find out if the compressor is ok. Does the compressor and fan use the same start cap.? If they don't, take off the wires going to the fan, tape them up and try turning the unit and see if the compressor runs. Don't run it more than a min. with out the fan running. Get a new fan cap. the same size and see if that gets everything going. Paul

Comment

There's only 1 capacitor.....

Comment

Originally posted by bhclark View Post
                        There's only 1 capacitor.....
                        then you will have to put new cap. in just to see if everything works. Leave power off until you do this. Paul

Comment

Working...
                        X
                        =