Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Accidentally got my tv wet. What now?

So I accidentally left my window open when I left today for a bit. The window is right by our tv in our living room. It wasn't supposed to rain, but a pop-up storm came and the tv got wet. I dried off the exterior part of the tv, and thinking that it didn't get too wet, I turned it on and got nothing. No picture, no audio, nothing. Wondering what I should do now, and if my tv can be saved? I hope I didn't cause more harm by turning it on so soon! I have it unplugged and a fan running on the back of it now. Appreciate any help...Thanks!

let it dry out completely. it shouldn't have made a difference but if it did, then it is possible to have shorted several components together and fried them. integrated circuits operate at or near +5 volts or even smaller. distilled water wouldn't have minded but rain has impurities in it which ARE conductive.

Comment

thanks for responding. yes, my big worry is that i turned it on and it fried something. if that happens, does it pay to get someone to fix it, or just buy a new one? it's a fairly nice tv. not a plasma or lcd or anything, so a little older, but it's a flatscreen that has HD capabilites, etc. prob. 7-800 dollar tv. some people say it's just cheaper to buy a new one instead of getting it fixed, but wondering if that's on a case-by-case basis.

thanks!

Comment

if you are not afraid to take a look see, place the tv on a bed or couch to cushion the picture tube and remove all the screws that hold the back on. keep away from that red wire that goes into the picture tube. this is a connection to the anode or aquadag coating inside the picture tube and can carry a potential of several thousand volts [static]
        just look around for something charred or blackened on the circuit board. this I'm afraid is as far as you can go. without test equipment and a schematic and understanding how electronic circuits operate you'll be in the dark.

Comment

yea we'll see. this tv is pretty heavy and decent sized. is the cost of fixing a tv spendy? i guess i've never had one fixed.

Comment

more than likely if nothing works it may be as simple as a blown fuse on the power supply board. beyond that a flyback or voltage tripler costs some bucks!

Comment

when you say some bucks, are we talking one or two hundred or more? for that it would prob. be worth it, but say if it was $500, then i'd prob. just junk it.

Comment

It will dry in a few months for sure if you keep it someplace dry with moving air.
                still, though ..watching TV is a waste of time.

Comment

Usually with electronics (i have experience with my cell phone), the best thing you can do is give it time to dry out. You could take it apart to allow access for the parts to evaporate outside the TV (don't want the water inside). Then use fans on it as well. Just don't try to turn it on too soon. Heir on the side of more time.
                  Last edited by TransformStuff; 01-17-2011, 05:30 PM.

Comment

Working...
                  X
                  =