Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do I install a mainline cleanout in clay pipe? Pipe exposed, existing wye capped.

Collapse

Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do I install a mainline cleanout in clay pipe? Pipe exposed, existing wye capped.

I would like to install a cleanout for my main drain line from my house to the city sewer system. There is no existing cleanout access for the main sewer drain line.

House details: Huntington Beach, CA single-family tract house built 1960.

Today I dug a hole to access the clay drain line. The drain line was appox. 3 feet below grade. I also found that a 45 degree wye exists approx. 2 feet from the foundation, which is plugged or capped. What materials will I need to connect a cleanout to my drain line? The wye is 7 1/2"OD and 6 1/4"ID.

I did some research and I think a Fernco/Mission 6"x4" (clay-to-cast iron or plastic) coupler will do the trick. Then I would need a 4" ABS 1/8 (45 degree) street bend, approx. 3' of 4" ABS pipe, then a 4" ABS female coupling, and finally a 4" ABS cleanout plug. Does this sound right? Will I need to protect the cleanout with some sort of junction box, like the tyoe used for sprinkler valves?

I plan to visit Home Depot and my local plumbing store tomorrow, but hopefully some pro plumbers on this site will chime in.

Thanks in advance for the advice!

Aaron

I take it the waste line wye was covered over and cemented. if you remove the cleanout from the wye, install a desanko fitting, oakum and epoxy caulk it in place then extend the wye up through the slab to another wye, you'll have another drain with a cleanout cap.

Comment

The forum will not allow me to post a picture, but the clay wye is plugged where the cleanout would normally exit to ground level.

Comment

Working...
      X
      =