Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fixing what the plumbers didn't

Had some plumbers repipe a main trunk link that connects
    close to my hwh. There is a grey connector type thing attached to one end of the existing cPVC and instead of cutting that off and connecting the new cpvc with a coupling and some glue they decided to lay the new cpvc inside the other end of the grey connector and then tried to use one of the screwcap ends of a compression fitting to keep it in place. Needless to say it's busted twice today already. My question is, can i just cut the connector off and use some cpvc and a coupling to connect the cpvc down there or does it serve some purpose? I'm not sure if it's possibly a reducer or something but I would imagine all the cpvc down there would be 1/2".

I'd call the plumber back...

New Fixed Plumbing Shouldn't Fall Apart!
    I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night.
    Now I can Plumb!

For great information on the history of sanitary sewers including the use of Redwood Pipe
    Visit http://www.sewerhistory.org/
    Did you know some Redwood Pipe is still in service today.

Comment

Yes, you can simply remvoe the compression fitting.

Then prime the cPVC pipe and new fittings then weld with CPVC solvent.

You may need to keep your water off for up to 12 hours to allow the joint to cure before pressurizing.

Sounds like you have high pressure to begin with, which is why the compression union has failed.

Comment

I would do what redwood said and call the plumbers back, if you have problems down the road and it floods and does a lot of damage the plumber could say he didnt do that and pass the liability on to you and your insurance company. Not only that but they need to fix the problem and stand behind there work, and while your at it check for a license and insurance to do the work they are doing

Comment

Well, called the plumber back yesterday around 10am, they finally showed up at 5:00pm and went under the house, removed what they had done and placed some compression fitting type device in its place. Not sure what sort of fitting it is, but the guy said once it was on there it shouldnt pop off due to pressure because it has some teeth or something that requires a special tool to remove it. Well, once I turned the water on the meter appeared to have stopped moving... guess I should have looked longer than I did. Upon checking it again after the plumber left I noticed that the meter had a very slow spin to it. It would do a quarter turn and stop for 10 seconds or so and then quarter turn again. I guess that means there is probably water leaking out of that fitting he put on there some where. He said he could have glued the pieces together but because of the previous leak and water down there that the glue probably wouldnt have held. /sigh So ill call him back again in the morning!

Comment

After doing some reading, sounds like the fitting is called a SharkBite fitting.

Comment

Originally posted by Tinkee View Post
              After doing some reading, sounds like the fitting is called a SharkBite fitting.
              Yep! Sounds like it...
              I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night.
              Now I can Plumb!

For great information on the history of sanitary sewers including the use of Redwood Pipe
              Visit http://www.sewerhistory.org/
              Did you know some Redwood Pipe is still in service today.

Comment

Working...
              X
              =