Collapse

Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Matching stain on old/new deck boards?

Reposting as new thread:

I replaced seven 18' boards on my deck (had a tree growing out of the end of it...former owners didn't realize a TREE actually grows OUT of the deck!). At any rate, I now have new redwood boards in an older deck. I had cleaned and stained with a semi opaque about 3 years ago and need to redo the whole deck now, including the new boards. What's the best way of matching these new boards to the old as well as possible??

I'm sure many people in this forum could offer a variety of ideas. But my approach would be to get the older decks boards as clean as possible so that they would look as close in color to the nee boards. Start with a good pressure washing to remove the dirst. Then work in a deck cleaning agent. I like to use the Behr brand one can get at Home Depot. Work that in with a stiff bristle brush and hose off. Then bleach the wood with oxyalic acid. You can buy that at Sherwin-Williams... typically comes in a quart-sized tub marketed as "Wood Bleach." Mix that stuff up in a bucket per the instructions then clean your deck with that. Hose off an let dry. This is probably the best you're gonna do. Stain and seal the deck from there.

Comment

Working...
    X
    =