Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• trouble closing garage door

I have a Craftsman 1/2 HP opener. When closing the door with either the button or remote, I have to continue pushing in until the door is completely down. If the opener is not connected to the door, the opener works normally.
    My other garage door, with the same unit, works ok. Both garage doors weigh the same.
    Any suggestions?

sounds like the sensor is not functioning or out

Comment

Sensor? Please provide me with enough information about the sensor and can it be fixed. Remember, I am not a garage door mechanic but a very simple handyman around the house.

Comment

Iceman, Just realized that you mean the sensor near the floor. The garage door reverses at anytime that I remove my finger from the button. It is not the sensor that is the problem

Comment

there is a relay that reverses the door whenever there is an obstruction in the downward path. it is a current sensitive device that is adjustable. try reducing the sensitivity a touch.

Comment

Youe problem is the safety beam or photo eyes at the bottom of the door. If they are not aligned (pointed at each other) they will not let the door close. YOu may need to check the wiring. pinched or broken wire will cause a problem. Chamberlain products are polarized so you need to have the black stripe wires together and the white wires together. the white is the common.

you can replace the eyes, but recommend using a short peice of wire to test them. to do this you need to disconnect the other wires in case of short. then connect the photo eye wires to terminals 2 and 3 or white and black and point them at each other. If you can get a solid green light you are good to go (of course the other eye is amber, or on older models green).

if new wire and eyes doesnt solve the problem you will need a new circuit baord, in which case if you are going to do it yourself, by a new opener.

Ryan

Of course you could call a pro and get if fixed for as little as $50-70 depending on area, and whether or not you need parts.

Comment

I have followed all replies. The beams are on. I've adjusted the force but now the trolley does not go more than two feet before returning. The door is balanced.
              I can't think of anything else to do except to call a repair man.
              Thanks for all your replies.

Comment

the door travel limits operate off a lead screw inside the controller case. there is a cam that travels on a rotating screw. at either or both ends is a limit switch that contacts the cam. when the door goes up or down the lead screw follows the door travel. adjust the down travel limit switch.

Comment

I followed HayZee518's advice, gave it one last try and finally adjusted the down control. The door will close if I hold the button down all the time. I'm going to forget about just pushing the button and have the door close by itself.

Comment

you have bad photo eyes, wires, or circuit board. A new unit at the hardware store is as little as $129. I wouldn't recommend a chain or screw drive though. I will gladly assist you further, if you have a make and model it would be helpful. Ryan

Comment

Working...
                    X
                    =