Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 4 beeps on start up

Hi,
    I get 4 short beeps on start up.No display but the rest of the hardware seems to be working.Anybody had this problem before?
    I have an HP pavilion dv6600.
    Thank you

Start-Up beeps

Certain beeps during the POST (Power On Self Test) can alert you to various problems with the computer.

According to a few sites I visited, 4 beeps means a failure in the System Timer and the recommended action is to send the System board (motherboard) in for repair.

BIOS Error Beeps, Messages, and Codes - www.sysopt.com
    Dan

Comment

Thanks for the reply, I was fearing it would be the motherboard.Damn it.

Comment

Anna,

Try Receding the ram, and putting it back in. Let me know if you need help.

Best of luck

Comment

Originally posted by anna_starr82 View Post
          Hi,
          I get 4 short beeps on start up.No display but the rest of the hardware seems to be working.Anybody had this problem before?
          I have an HP pavilion dv6600.
          Thank you

Go to HP website and search for start up beep codes-You'll find what you are looking for.

Good luck.

Cheers.

Comment

You can also try resting the mother board before you take it in for service. There should be a jump switch on there somewhere. You will have to consult your manual for that. It does sound like it is a broken part could be the mother board or the processor if it is not getting to the BIOS screen.

Comment

As mentioned in the previous post resetting the motherboard may solve your problem. If you cannot find the jumper, you can remove the CMOS battery and wait approximately 10 seconds then put it back in. It's round and silver and slightly smaller in diamater than a quarter, it sort of looks like a watch battery but bigger. Make sure the computer is unplugged when doing this.

Good luck!

Comment

Your computer may have memory problems. First check video. If video is working, you'll see an error message. If not, you have a parity error in your first 64K of memory. First check your SIMM's. Reseat them and reboot. If this doesn't do it, the memory chips may be bad. You can try switching the first and second banks memory chips. First banks are the memory banks that your CPU finds its first 64K of base memory in. You'll need to consult your manual to see which bank is first. If all your memory tests good, you probably need to buy another motherboard.

Comment

Dont be afraid if it is the mainboard, the processor is more expensive usually. Try what was mentioned before. If you have your user manual it should describe the problem there also.

Comment

Reseating the memory sticks worked for me once. GL!

Comment

Originally posted by dkpbxman View Post
                      Certain beeps during the POST (Power On Self Test) can alert you to various problems with the computer.

According to a few sites I visited, 4 beeps means a failure in the System Timer and the recommended action is to send the System board (motherboard) in for repair.
                      Yeah sounds about right from the research I have done.

Comment

Working...
                      X
                      =