Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First year apprentice mistake.....shower install

I am building a small cabin with a fiberglass one peice pan. Like the electrician I am the directions ended up on the floor.... I did not nail the pan to the studs while my body weight was in it to compress and get the proper pitch. Now I have some standing water to deal with. The drywall is finished and the tile is down. I have considered the following options...
    1. demo and start over to get the proper set on the pan. This would entail cutting out drywall, removing enclousure (hopefull in one piece) and re installing per directions.
    2. Remove a 2 inch strip of tile on 3 sides of the pan. drive small shims between the pan base and concrete board. This might raise up the pan as needed. Then injecting foam to add stability. The inside of the base is foam block. Finally have the tile replaced with a 2 inch edge strip.
    3 Drill small holes in about 5 places arround the outside of the pan. Inject with foam to possibly rais the pan. Or maybe inject with some lightweight concrete to raise the floor beneath the pan.

Question to the forum... has anyone had any success with any of the above methods? Or does anyone have a solution I have not considered?
    Thanks in advance....
    Electrician wannabe a plummer......Bob

Option 1 is the best one but everybody tries the others.

The biggest problem you may end up facing is yet to come with the drain flexing up and down with you in it many start leaking after a period of time...

Good luck with it whatever you decide...
    I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night.
    Now I can Plumb!

For great information on the history of sanitary sewers including the use of Redwood Pipe
    Visit http://www.sewerhistory.org/
    Did you know some Redwood Pipe is still in service today.

Comment

I'm going to second the motion for #1

Removing only a small section of tiles and cement board at the base and replacing them with new is almost always setting yourself up for future water problems and or (probably and) cracking tiles.

How much water sits in the pan ?
      Little about a lot and a lot about a little.
      Every day is a learning day.

Comment

Thanks so far...

I was wondering if injecting foam under the base could sorta raise it??? Or stabilize it from flexing during use. (I know I am grasping) In my business as an electrician I call this "stepping over a dollar to pick up a dime".... Thanks again for the advise Bob

Comment

just about 1/4 inch or less.... Still havent take a shower yet because the enclousure spring loaded latches broke during my first open and close of the door. and...... price phister had to send me new stems because the rough in w/stems leaks... I could have paid an out of work plummer brother to help me with this install and saved lots of grief.....

Comment

Like I said...
            Everyone tries it...
            But YMMV....
            I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night.
            Now I can Plumb!

For great information on the history of sanitary sewers including the use of Redwood Pipe
            Visit http://www.sewerhistory.org/
            Did you know some Redwood Pipe is still in service today.

Comment

Working...
            X
            =