Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• kenmore dryer motor

I have a kenmore dryer that would run 10 min and quit. My husband said with the noise it was making we need a new motor. We bought a new motor but now thw instructions say to change the wiring. Not sure what this means as both the old and new have a harness to plug in. The harness has green, red/white, blue and black. They are telling us to change the two red wires,yellow and white????????
    There are two red wires connected to the thermostat on the blower housing????

Hi,
    You only have to change the wire connectors if the old motor did not have a plug.
    Some of the old motor did not have a plug and you had to unplug each wire.

If the old motor looks just like the new one then the plug on the wire harness will plug into the new motor without having to change anything.

Plug the new motor in and it's all ready to go.

John@FreeApplianceRepair.com
    www.FreeApplianceRepair.com

Comment

Another question. If we plugged the motor in and it doesn't work what would be our next step. We have not put the dryer completely back together. Is there a possibility that its not grounding totally or should we be looking at sensors. We have used the ohms meter and everything seems to be ok. Another words we held the door switch in the start button and the pulley to check it. Thank you in advance

quote:Originally posted by FreeApplianceRepair

Hi,
      You only have to change the wire connectors if the old motor did not have a plug.
      Some of the old motor did not have a plug and you had to unplug each wire.

If the old motor looks just like the new one then the plug on the wire harness will plug into the new motor without having to change anything.

Plug the new motor in and it's all ready to go.

Comment

If the old motor was making the noise then I'm sure it's just because the motor is bad.

You did not post the model number of the dryer, but I have a preaty good idea of what you have.

If you have not removed the blower wheel from the old motor yet, remember it has left hand threads.

I would replace the motor and give it a try.

Let us know how it goes,
        Thanks,

Comment

The dryer is a kenmore large capacity. model #110-79902 We have put the new motor in and have had the blower off. We also put the old motor back in just to see if it would work and nothing there either.
          Everything you are adding will help when we go home tonight and work on it some more. Just doesn't seem like it should be this difficult.
          When you talk about the treads. I beleive it says right on the fan which way to tighten or am I missing something?

If the old motor was making the noise then I'm sure it's just because the motor is bad.

You did not post the model number of the dryer, but I have a preaty good idea of what you have.

If you have not removed the blower wheel from the old motor yet, remember it has left hand threads.

I would replace the motor and give it a try.

Let us know how it goes,
          Thanks,

Comment

So before you took the old motor out the dryer worked but it made a noise well running, correct?

Then after you replaced the motor you could not get the dryer to run at all, even after you put the old motor back in?

If so are you sure you plugged everything back in. Like the door switch on the front of the dryer or anything else you may have unplugged well testing things before?

If you have had the blower off and back on don't worry about what I said before, you did it right.

Some of the blower wheels don't say what way to turn them.

I could find the model number of your dryer, but could not locate a diagram.
            So I'm not 100% sure what dryer you have, but from what you have said about the motor I think it's the one made by Whirlpool.

Kenmore does not make any appliances. They only put there name on them.

Comment

Thank you so much. Yes dryer worked on hot and air but would quit after 10 min. When you pushed the start button it growled. We replaced the motor then couldn't get it to start. The original misunderstanding was when the dealer told us to make sure we change the harness. I beleive that we plugged everything back in we really didn't take that much apart but will recheck everything.The motor is a whirlpool from FSP. Now I am wondering if maybe we have to have everything back together for the dryer to ground???
              Otherwise by rights it should run now. But like I said even the old one wouldn't run when we tried to put it back in so I am now thinking Ground. Any thoughts?

So before you took the old motor out the dryer worked but it made a noise well running, correct?

Then after you replaced the motor you could not get the dryer to run at all, even after you put the old motor back in?

If so are you sure you plugged everything back in. Like the door switch on the front of the dryer or anything else you may have unplugged well testing things before?

If you have had the blower off and back on don't worry about what I said before, you did it right.

Some of the blower wheels don't say what way to turn them.

I could find the model number of your dryer, but could not locate a diagram.
              So I'm not 100% sure what dryer you have, but from what you have said about the motor I think it's the one made by Whirlpool.

Kenmore does not make any appliances. They only put there name on them.

Comment

Any "green" ground wires that connect to the cabinet or bracket of the motor are for safty and don't have anything to do with the motor running.

You do need the neutral wire for things to run.
                The neutral wire is the center one were the dryer cord connects to the back of the dryer.
                The neutral would also be in the wire harness on the motor.

Did you end up cutting anything on the wire harness plug to rewire the motor.
                It does not sound like you did. If you took the plug from the old motor and plugged it into the new one all should be ok at that end.

I would retrace your steps and go over everything you unplugged to double check.

Whirlpool dryer for sure, good dryer.

Comment

Thank You so much for your help. This will give us a good start tonight. No we did not cut any wires because it didn't make sense but will recheck all connections. Thanks again.

Any "green" ground wires that connect to the cabinet or bracket of the motor are for safty and don't have anything to do with the motor running.

You do need the neutral wire for things to run.
                  The neutral wire is the center one were the dryer cord connects to the back of the dryer.
                  The neutral would also be in the wire harness on the motor.

Did you end up cutting anything on the wire harness plug to rewire the motor.
                  It does not sound like you did. If you took the plug from the old motor and plugged it into the new one all should be ok at that end.

I would retrace your steps and go over everything you unplugged to double check.

Whirlpool dryer for sure, good dryer.

Comment

Your welcome,
                    If you have anymore questions please feel free to ask.
                    If you find the problem please post what you found so others can learn from it.

Thanks,

Comment

Signed my husband up as I can't get to my Email on this computer. Same problem can't get the dryer to run. Power doesn't seem to be getting to the motor. Part # is 279787 whirlpool FSP This motor has the overload built in it but has the harness set up. When we check all the switches everything seems fine but all together they don't work. Any thoughts?

Your welcome,
                      If you have anymore questions please feel free to ask.
                      If you find the problem please post what you found so others can learn from it.

Thanks,

Comment

If you could not see anything wrong you will have to start trouble shooting it with a meter to find the problem.

The first step in trouble shooting a dryer is to check the voltage were the cord goes into the dryer.

These are photo's from the back of a Maytag dryer so they will look different then the back of your dryer, but it's still the same wires and voltages.

To check the voltage to the dryer take your digital multi meter and put the probes on the outside wires of the dryer cord, as shown in the photo on the top. It should read right around 240 volts AC. Next measure the voltage from the center wire and one of the outer wire. You should have around 120 volts AC as shown in the photo on the bottom. The two voltage checks that we just did tells us if you have 240 volts AC to the dryer and if the neutral wire at the outlet is good. If you do not have the correct voltage to the dryer you need to check your fuses in the electrical box for the house.

Good luck

Comment

Do you have a fuse box or breaker box for the house?

If a fuse box and you don't have a meter to check the voltage you could alway's just change the fuses (there's two for a dryer) and give it a try.

I once had a service call were the lady said she had a electrician check the power to the dryer and it was fine.

She was 75 miles away. I get there to find a bad fuse in the fuse box.
                          Between paying the electrician that did not know what he was doing and paying me she could have saved a lot of money by just replacing both fuses and trying the dryer again.

May not be your problem, but the only way to know for sure is to check it with a meter or if you have a fuse box for the house replace both fuses.

Let us know what you find.

Comment

We will go and do another check but we have checked just about every connection top and bottom and everything seems to reading fine. Is there such a thing as getting a bad motor and how would one tell. Could you tell me what the sequence is to starting the dryer say for instance the start switch to the timer , door latch etc.

If a fuse box and you don't have a meter to check the voltage you could alway's just change the fuses (there's two for a dryer) and give it a try.

I once had a service call were the lady said she had a electrician check the power to the dryer and it was fine.

Between paying the electrician that did not know what he was doing and paying me she could have saved a lot of money by just replacing both fuses and trying the dryer again.

May not be your problem, but the only way to know for sure is to check it with a meter or if you have a fuse box for the house replace both fuses.

Comment

Sorry forgot to add we have a breaker and have checked that.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              =