Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can I stucco over my existing siding?

I have an old house in dry West Texas.
    I have stucco'd the garage addition and now want to do the rest of the house.
    I have siding - it seems to be pressure fiber of sort. It is in horizontal rows all over the side, and they overlap like shingles.
    I would like to keep the siding - insulation and forgo cost of having to buy new osb/plywood.
    I think I can keep it square.
    I am not looking for a 100 year fix, 20 or 30 years would be great.
    Any ideas, help, suggestions would be appreciated.
    Thanks

use a metal lath so the stucco will key into something or it will fall off in sheets when it dries.

Comment

Thanks - a follow up question?

We used the metal lath around the frames, doors windows when we stucco'd over the osb. We used a poultry wire looking roll for the majority of it..
      Cost wise, I would rather use the cheaper (poultry wire looking roll) one for the biggest part. Is that feasible?

What would be the most cost effective way to handle the stucco over the siding? Friends have recommended pulling the siding and using osb but that is real expensive and seems like a waste of the material and insulation factor. Another told me to use the foam sheets but i don't really see how stucco would stay on.

Thanks for being patient as I am new to the stucco process. My practice on the garage was my first lesson.

Thanks.

Comment

Working...
      X
      =