Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whirlpool Gold Refrigerator/Freezer not cold

I have a Whirlpool Gold Refrigerator/Freezer model GD5SHAXKB00 that is no longer getting cold or freezing. There is no noise coming from it at all - guessing maybe the compressor? Any help is greatly appreciated!

Also, ice maker makes ice, but doesn't dispense ice. Trying to avoid purchasing a new fridge!

Comment

Clarification needed

Also, ice maker makes ice
      I don't see how that is possible if the refrigerator is "no longer getting cold or freezing". The icemaker (not ice dispenser) will cease to function if the freezer temperature goes above +10°F even if the water in it will still freeze.

There is no noise coming from it at all
      Maybe it is just in a defrost cycle (see the following link)?

LINK > How does a frost free refrigerator's defrost system work?

There is no noise coming from it at all - guessing maybe the compressor?
      If just the compressor was the problem the fans should still be running during the cooling mode. Are they?

Dan O.
      www.Appliance411.com
      The Appliance Information Site

=D~~~~~~

Comment

sorry for the confusion...the icemaker issue has been a nagging problem for years.the primary concern is the whole unit - frig/freezer stopped working this week. there is a quiet hum which has been normal. lights are on, but not cooling. hope this clarifies

Comment

Not cooling

frig/freezer stopped working this week. there is a quiet hum which has been normal. lights are on, but not cooling.
          You can read about possibilities for that at the following link.

LINK > My frost free refrigerator is not cooling properly. What might be the problem?

Are any of the fans running? That would be a sign that the refrigerator controls are at least trying to make the appliance work.

JMO

Dan O.
          www.Appliance411.com

=D~~~~~~

Comment

i've been paying more attention to the sounds and noticed that it will click periodically, so I think it is trying to turn on. i read through some previous forum posts and a found a similar issue where a relay kit resolved the problem. should i try that?

Comment

noticed that it will click periodically
              What will click periodically? The compressor??

LINK > My refrigerator is making strange sounds. What is wrong with it?

so I think it is trying to turn on. i read through some previous forum posts and a found a similar issue where a relay kit resolved the problem. should i try that?
              If the compressor is try to start but failing to, yes the relay may be the cause. Other possibilities of that occurrence include a failing compressor and even just poor voltage to the refrigerator.

LINK > Whirlpool GD5SHAXKB00 Relay Asm.

Dan O.
              www.Appliance411.com

=D~~~~~~

Comment

Whirlpool Fridge not getting cold

Hi, my side by side whirlpool fridge is not getting cold. I took the back panel inside the freezer off and I see the fan is not spinning would the cause of it not getting to cold and not making ice?

Comment

I see the [freezer] fan is not spinning
                  It should only be running at the same time the compressor is running... and possibly a fan by the compressor as well. Are they running when you are inspecting the evaporator (freezer) fan's operation?

would the cause of it not getting to cold and not making ice?
                  All fans need to be running when the compressor is for proper cooling to take place (see the link above titled "My frost free refrigerator is not cooling properly. What might be the problem?"). The icemaker will not function if the freezer is above 10 deg. F.

If you post again please also supply the fridge's exact model number so we can look up what appliance design you're dealing with:

Forum Notice LINK > Please include the model number in your post

Dan O.
                  Appliance411.com

Comment

Working...
                  X
                  =