Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fascia issue?

Hello everyone! Question....I had a piece of my fascia on the west side of my house blow off last August ('09) during a storm. Been dragging my butt on getting a piece put back on. Something else seems to always come up! Anyways, we have an unfinished basement and I walked down to the basement tonight and there is a bed that sits perpendicular to that west wall where the fascia is missing, and there were two water spots on the sheet. We got a half inch of rain this morning and another inch tonight, so at first I thought maybe rain was coming in somehow. I checked the boards on the ceiling to see if I could see where the water was coming from or dripping, and everything looked dry. I removed the mattress and box spring and got on a ladder to feel around on the boards and still nothing. My question to you guys is can rain leak in if no fascia is present? I've worked construction a little bit and have always thought that it was more to protect the wood and for cosmetic reasons than anything else. I've seen people lose pieces of fascia and go years before putting a new piece up...probably one of the reasons why I wasn't too worried about it. The piece that is missing is the left side piece where it comes up to an upside down V on the top of the house. Right above the bed where it was leaking is a bedroom, and there is no sign of water marks there, which you would think that if water was dripping that there would be signs of it on the drywall? Also, something to note, the spots where it was dripping, the one spot is about 8 feet away from the side of the wall, and the other one is about 4 feet. There is no water spots right next to the wall.

I'm baffled!!! Either we have a ghost or somehow water dripped down there is my only guess. We do have three cats but it can't be from them we smelled it and it had no smell to it. If they threw up water you would think it would smell and possibly have chunks of hair ball or food in it? We have had plenty of rain since that piece flew off too! Hm.

Thanks for any help I'd appreciate it. This is a new house as of July '08 and really want to put a stop to any water coming in if that is at all possible with a missing piece of fascia.

so, the fascia board is still off? why don't you replace it? certainly any source for water getting in would be eliminated. may be dripping off a nail point or a wood splinter.

Comment

well the fascia board is there....it's the piece of aluminum fascia that's off. i have had people say that water should not be able to get in there but then i've had people say that it's a possibility. the only problem, is that there is no sign of any water coming off the ceiling (open ceiling since it's an unfinished basement). that's why i'm so baffled. everything is or seems dry.

Comment

OK, a driving rain followed by wind would force water through the sheathing cracks and drip on a splinter or nail or just about anything. use some 5# tarpaper over the sheathing and then put the aluminum up.

Comment

Working...
        X
        =