Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How To Recognize and Avoid Malware Infection

I have some pretty good anti-virus on my computer, but even that missed a malware download that occurred (by itself) when I was doing a simple search and clicked on a site. How did I know it was a download? I got the stupid "scareware" popup banner advertising some antivirus program stating "Your computer is infected" , and when I tried to get rid of it funny things started happening - it appeared something was downloading. So here is what I did: I mashed down on my power key for the 3-10 seconds it takes to shut down - this will shut down the computer no matter what. Why did I do this? To interrupt an install before it had time to destroy my restore points. So I started up again and sure enough, I had some crapware taking over my search engine. When I tried to do a Google search I got the malware ad pages. So immediately I powered off again by mashing down on the power key just in case the malware tried to continue its installation. Then, I started up in SAFE mode by repeatedly hitting the F8 key. I was then led to a restore option and thankfully my restore point was still OK. So I did the restore and then also I did a full antivirus scan just to be sure. But after the restore I was OK.

My big point here is that if I had given the malware time, it would have corrupted my restore point and also installed software to prohibit me from accessing and/or downloading any type of antivirus program to remove it. Interrupting the download saved me. I suppose I could have tried to use the Task Manager to shut things down, but I really did not want to take that much time - and I wanted to power off completely, and quickly.
    Last edited by Drywall DIY Guy; 09-27-2010, 09:26 AM.
    Drywall Taping & Finishing For Beginners
    http://drywallinfo.com

I had the same thing happen to me. I shut it down as soon as I saw the little shield in the tray. I have eradicated this from friends computers more than twice, but removing the infected hard drive and using a usb - sata/ide adaptor to run a scan. Malwarebytes seems to work well as does avast, but avast will not catch it coming.

If everybody was as quick as you were, they probably wouldn't have near as many problems as they do.

My wife's friend (a blonde) sent them the money.

Comment

The window that you witness that seem it was downloading something is just a gimmick. You had to press the red X in the top right corner to stop it. If you press anything besides the red X it will install the software and it is difficult to remove.

Comment

Red X...

Not true. Clicking ANYthing in that pop up will activate it, including the re X. Either manually shut down the computer or stop it using Task Manager to interrupt it.

Comment

Originally posted by mrcaptainbob View Post
          Not true. Clicking ANYthing in that pop up will activate it, including the re X. Either manually shut down the computer or stop it using Task Manager to interrupt it.
          Yes, I would agree. If they are dishonest enough to sneak some crap on your computer, they are certainly dishonest enough to create a misleading popup with phony close X icon. Once you start any type of interaction with malware sites, all rules and morals are out the window.
          Drywall Taping & Finishing For Beginners
          http://drywallinfo.com

Comment

This happened to my wife's computer recently. That stuff blocks our Anti-Virus and Anti-Mal ware protection the second it installs itself. It can sit in your system for weeks before it manifests itself.

Comment

I hate these types of malware. But the good thing about them (if you can even call it that) is that they make themselves very apparent. They force you to take action and to protect your computer. I would rather be very aware of what it's trying to do rather than think my computer is okay and have the malware in the backend.

Comment

Malware

I have rescued a couple of computers with some nasty malware like you were describing.
                One product I found that saved them is called Malwarebytes. You can download a free copy and it will find and take out the really bad ones. Make sure that you download, install it and run it in Safe Mode if you are infected.
                Search for Malware bytes to get the address since I am not allowed to post the URL.

Rich

Comment

Originally posted by Speedbump View Post
                  My wife's friend (a blonde) sent them the money.
                  Sounds about right. Yeah Malwarebytes is great for getting all those bad guys out. Run it in safe mode for best results.

Comment

• One of the oldest and most common spyware tricks is to automatically change your Web browser's default or start-up homepage – the page that first appears when you start your browser or click the "home" button.
                    • You end up in a same strange site, whenever you perform a search.
                    • Your firewall and antivirus programs are frequently turned off automatically.
                    • You cannot access security related Websites or cannot update your anti-virus definitions.

Comment

Ever since I switched my anti-virus to AVG and my web browser to Google Chrome I have not had any malware or spyware attacks. Why? Because both software detect them with ease before they can even come close to harming your computer. Both are also free to get so I would definitely recommend them!
                      A fool-proof furnace repair manual...

Comment

I agree with what is being said about windows popping up and telling you that you are infected...I've had many a panic call from friends and I tell them...don't touch anything...click Ctrl Alt delete at the same time and the task manager will pop up...click ..end task... and that window will disappear

then run a cleaning program if you have one..CCleaner is a good free cleaner

Comment

c cleaner or crap cleaner is a good program BUT if you are not careful, you can disable or even render your computer inoperable. you hafta know what you are deleting or disabling. if you get into REGEDIT your are within the guts of what runs your computer. disable delete or make one change will alter how your computer functions. Ad Aware is good. Avast is good as long as you keep the definitions up to date. Windows Defender is awesome as it disables something that's trying to gain access.

Comment

Working...
                          X
                          =