Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pvc for gas piping?

Ok..here is a good one. Went to a neighbors home the other day and saw that the furnace in his garage has it's natural gas piped in with white plumbers pvc pipe. Supply up to the garage is regular black pipe and the white pvc only runs inside and exposed. Now I know that natural gas will damage the insides of galvanized pipe but can it damage this pvc piping. I have used the yellow underground piping in the past, so is there a big difference in performance with this white pvc piping? Certainly pressure is not a problem but is the gas corrosive to this piping. The neighbor says that it is just temporary but his wife told me that it has been working for two years. Thanks......Russ

your friend is looking for a huge explosion! that yellow bodied pipe is iron pipe with a coating against the earth. tell him to change his piping to hard iron!

Comment

Originally posted by russell View Post
      Ok..here is a good one. Went to a neighbors home the other day and saw that the furnace in his garage has it's natural gas piped in with white plumbers pvc pipe. Supply up to the garage is regular black pipe and the white pvc only runs inside and exposed. Now I know that natural gas will damage the insides of galvanized pipe but can it damage this pvc piping. I have used the yellow underground piping in the past, so is there a big difference in performance with this white pvc piping? Certainly pressure is not a problem but is the gas corrosive to this piping. The neighbor says that it is just temporary but his wife told me that it has been working for two years. Thanks......Russ
      They do make a yellow under ground plastic pipe for natural gas that is approved. It will not take the uv sun waves so it can not be above ground.
      White PVC is not approved for gas. As far as will it damage the pipe, i don't know. There are so many different kinds of plastics. Later Paul

Comment

Your neighbor needs to get a plumber over ASAP!

He has already demonstrated that he is not qualified to plumb gas piping.
        I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night.
        Now I can Plumb!

For great information on the history of sanitary sewers including the use of Redwood Pipe
        Visit http://www.sewerhistory.org/
        Did you know some Redwood Pipe is still in service today.

Comment

I forgot about that poly pipe the gas company uses to reline old iron pipe installations. I think it's 5/8" O.D. and slides inside the existing line. orange in color.

Comment

Hello,
            I would like to add few comments as to why the PVC pipes are used for gas piping.
            Due to presence of more than fifty percent chlorine in the PVC, PVC valves are fire-resistant. Even when the valves are burned, they emit hydrogen chloride gas that prevents oxygen from reaching the surface and thereby prevents faster reaction.

Thanks
            Brain Reed

Comment

Hey Redwood, I see your an apprentice. A promotion???

Imagine what is going to happen when someone cuts the white PVC to add a tee and a hose bibb?

Comment

Originally posted by Speedbump View Post
                Hey Redwood, I see your an apprentice. A promotion???

Imagine what is going to happen when someone cuts the white PVC to add a tee and a hose bibb?
                Oh Wow!

I'm glad I finally got out of the Handyman class...
                Talk about an insult to those in the trades...

I can live with Apprentice....
                It makes me feel young again...
                At least I'm A Trade Professional again...
                Even if it is entry level...
                I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night.
                Now I can Plumb!

For great information on the history of sanitary sewers including the use of Redwood Pipe
                Visit http://www.sewerhistory.org/
                Did you know some Redwood Pipe is still in service today.

Comment

I remember being an apprentice......I knew it all, couldn't be told anything and thought I could change the world.....what happened !!
                  Little about a lot and a lot about a little.
                  Every day is a learning day.

Comment

CHECK PLUMBING CODES WHERE YOU LIVE. PVC, CPVC IS A NO-NO FOR GAS CONNECTIONS. People look sideways in using 3/8 refrigeration tubing for lng and propane.

Comment

I'm still a lowly Handyman. I guess I need another 250 posts or there a bouts to get a promotion.

Comment

I actually contacted three manufacturers of pvc piping and asked about the perils of using white pvc piping for natural gas. Only Techs from two of the companies would discuss it and asked not to mention their company. They said this........The pvc should not be in the sun as the surface is not uv tolerent. They said that using it in this manner it should be installed at a height that would protect it from impact. And finally they both assured me that pvc was highly acid resistant and that natural gas would not comprimise it in anyway. So thats from the Techs and I am going to pass this along to my neighbor.
                        Certainly it is not code in our area and probably never will be............Russ

Comment

Working...
                        X
                        =