Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Air Conditioner/Thermostat Problem

Hi Everyone,

This is my first post here, so pardon any lack of information that I do/don't give.

I have an Amana Heat Pump system for a bonus space over my garage. Coupled with that system, I had a White-Rodgers digital non-programmable thermostat which I intended to replace with a Honeywell unit. I turned off the unit at the thermostat, threw the breakers and proceeded to remove the White-Rodgers unit. I noticed that there was still a readout on the thermostat. As I disconnected the wiring from the unit I took note of the wiring configuration, mounted the bracket for the Honeywell unit and then attached the wiring correctly. I inserted the detachable portion of the thermostat and nothing happened.

I have already installed a similar thermostat on my other (primary) system and so I interchanged detachable (regulatory) components of the thermostats (the "brain" portion if you will). My primary system continued to function with either thermostat inserted into the mounting bracket. However, my bonus unit would never fire.

Today, I thought that I would reinstall the old thermostat to ensure that this is not just a wiring issue that cannot be resolved. However, when I rewired the old thermost back in, nothing worked again.

Is there an additional breaker somewhere between the thermostat and the system that I could have tripped in the removal of the original thermostat? Can removal of the thermostat cause a surge that would ruin an electronic component somewhere on a board in the HVAC unit? If so, how I can check to see what it is?

Thanks,

Jon
    Last edited by jernstberger; 10-25-2010, 02:04 PM. Reason: solved

Originally posted by jernstberger View Post
    Hi Everyone,

This is my first post here, so pardon any lack of information that I do/don't give.

I have an Amana Heat Pump system for a bonus space over my garage. Coupled with that system, I had a White-Rodgers digital non-programmable thermostat which I intended to replace with a Honeywell unit. I turned off the unit at the thermostat, threw the breakers and proceeded to remove the White-Rodgers unit. I noticed that there was still a readout on the thermostat. As I disconnected the wiring from the unit I took note of the wiring configuration, mounted the bracket for the Honeywell unit and then attached the wiring correctly. I inserted the detachable portion of the thermostat and nothing happened.

I have already installed a similar thermostat on my other (primary) system and so I interchanged detachable (regulatory) components of the thermostats (the "brain" portion if you will). My primary system continued to function with either thermostat inserted into the mounting bracket. However, my bonus unit would never fire.

Today, I thought that I would reinstall the old thermostat to ensure that this is not just a wiring issue that cannot be resolved. However, when I rewired the old thermost back in, nothing worked again.

Is there an additional breaker somewhere between the thermostat and the system that I could have tripped in the removal of the original thermostat? Can removal of the thermostat cause a surge that would ruin an electronic component somewhere on a board in the HVAC unit? If so, how I can check to see what it is?

Thanks,

Jon
    Check your electronic board at you heating unit. You will probably find a small plug in 3 amp fuse. You might have blow en that fuse.
    paul

Comment

Thanks Paul!

So, I have an indoor and outdoor unit. The heating unit is the indoor one, correct?

Thanks,

Jon

Comment

Found it! Off to the HD to buy some.

Thanks, Paul!

Comment

Working...
        X
        =