Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

GE Fridge icemaker won't shut off water.

Collapse

Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GE Fridge icemaker won't shut off water.

Ge Refrigerator Model Number GSL25JFXBLB.

I woke up this morning to a partially flooded kitchen. The Spout that adds water to the ice maker wouldn't shut off when full. it poured about 10 gallons of water or more into my kitchen. Just got done pulling the laminate hardwood out and I'm letting the floor dry out. The water is shut off to the Refrigerator from under the sink. Which part would cause this? Is there a valve that could have been frozen open? or a sensor that needs to be replaced?

I don't mind fixing it, It's outside of warranty. It's one of those days where I thought to myself, "should have bought the extended warranty." But of course, had I done that, nothing would have broken.

I used to be an C-130 aircraft mechanic, and now I work IT. Give me a computer or a plane i can fix it, I have zero experience in troubleshooting refrigerators and ice makers, and I honestly don't have the time or money. So if anyone could help me, any help would be appreciated. Even if it's "let it thaw out, you idiot" I'll take it. The correct Part and the applicable exploded parts diagram would help.

Thanks in advance.

Marcus

The Spout that adds water to the ice maker wouldn't shut off when full. Which part would cause this?
    If the water valve on the back of the fridge WAS getting power when the icemaker was overflowing, the icemaker (see the following link) would have to be the cause. There are no replaceable parts in the icemaker so the whole thing would have to be replaced if malfunctioning.

LINK > GE GSL25JFXBLB Icemaker Asm.

If the water valve on the fridge was NOT getting power but water was still flowing through it, the water valve could be defective or it could be caused by insufficient water pressure getting to that valve. The latter often occurs if a 'self piercing' saddle valve was used on the house plumbing connection or any kind of saddle valve was mounted on the underside of a pipe where lime and scale could build up in the valve aperture partially clogging it.

LINK > GE GSL25JFXBLB Water Fill Valve

LINK > How do I test a water fill valve?

A first step in trying to determine the cause in your case will likely be to see if the valve is being powered or not when the problem is occurring.

JMO

Dan O.
    www.Appliance411.com
    The Appliance Information Site

=D~~~~~~

Comment

Dan O. thank you, I will test this when I get home from work.

Comment

I unplugged the fridge, and turned the water back on, it started flowing freely. So from reading the test, I'm assuming that means that the unit is bad.

Comment

If you unplugged the fridge then you ruled out the icemaker sending power to the water valve which only leaves what Dan O said. Bad water valve or low water pressure

Comment

defective water valve or poor water pressure to fridge

If you unplugged the fridge [and it leaked at that time] then you ruled out the icemaker
            Right.

which only leaves bad water valve or low water pressure
            Exactly.

Dan O.
            www.Appliance411.com
            The Appliance Information Site

=D~~~~~~

Comment

Working...
            X
            =