Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Roper Electric Dryer -- Take forever to dry and Moisture Sensor doesnt work!

Collapse

Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roper Electric Dryer -- Take forever to dry and Moisture Sensor doesnt work!

I have a "Roper rex4635eq2" that we recently bought used. The dryer only has a maximum 20-30 minute cycle (on high heat with a cool down) and that doesnt dry the clothes in time. In fact, it take 3-6 of those cycles to get a large load done (60-120min!). The clothes are warm, so I know the heat is working to some extent, but making 3-5 trips to the basement to restart the dryer is ridiculous.

I tried putting it on the Moisture Sensor function (Very Dry) but that doesnt work either... the clothes run for a bit, im guessing 15-25 min, but didnt time it, but when I come down to check, theyre still damp and its not running anymore.

I just want the cycle to last longer (until clothes are actually dry) or maybe the heat needs to be higher???

Please help!!! What do I check/repair first?

-Moisture Sensor?
    -Thermostat?
    -Heating Element?
    -Ducts?

Im an amateur, but a do-it-yourselfer. If this is not something I can repair, can you give me an estimate/source for the parts I may need and the average cost for the repairs (I live in Wichita, KS) thanks!

Lots of possibilities

dryer only has a maximum 20-30 minute cycle and that doesnt dry the clothes in time.

maybe the heat needs to be higher?
    More likely, possibly a problem with the venting (see the following link) or a problem in the dryer.

LINK > How long can my dryer vent be?

it takes 3-6 of those cycles to get a large load done
    If the clothing was too wet at the end of a wash cycle, it would take the dryer longer to dry them. Make sure the washer is spinning properly.

What do I check/repair first?
    1. The venting.
    2. The venting
    3. The venting
    4. The washer's spin function.
    5. That the dryer's element is glowing red hot and the whole element, not just part(s) of it. (it could be partially shorted to ground allowing only part of it too heat).
    6. That the dryer's drum seals are in good condition and not leaking.
    7. The temperature of the dryer's exhaust in case one of the thermostats is malfunctioning.

Im an amateur, but a do-it-yourselfer.
    Roper dryers are made by Whirlpool. Whirlpool has a good repair manual for their dryers which might help in isolating the cause or at least servicing it.

LINK > Whirlpool Gas and Electric Dryer Repair Manual

JFYI

Dan O.
    www.Appliance411.com
    The Appliance Information Site

=D~~~~~~

Comment

Heating Unit?

Sounds like the heating unit could be defective. To inspect the unit, you may be fortunate and have it clearly visible on the outside. Or you may need to remove the drum. Heating units do burn out eventually as the heat takes its toll, just like in any other electric heating or lighting element. For instructions on how to get at most heating elements, see Dryer Repair- How To Remove or Repair the Heating Unit
      Drywall Taping & Finishing For Beginners
      http://drywallinfo.com

Comment

Working...
      X
      =