Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Monitor 2400 E-14 then E-13 now E-14 again!!!! HELP!

Collapse

Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Monitor 2400 E-14 then E-13 now E-14 again!!!! HELP!

I have a Monitor 2400 that has been in use for about 7 years. A few days ago we received the E-14 error and instead of checking the code we assumed we were out of fuel and had the tank filled. Not so.... We still had about 100 gallons. We fired it up and it ran for about 40 minutes and then we got the E-13 error. We cleaned the flamerod and the filter in the sump tank and installed a new filter at the fuel tank. We pressed the fuel level control reset button "thingy" and fired it back up. Now we're getting E-14 again. ??????
    The exhaust smells pretty bad when it does run and it blows a lot of black soot chunks when the burner extinguishes and shuts down. I'm afraid to take the firebox apart because I don't have any spare gaskets. It could be a bad burner cloth, but I'm afraid to look with no new gaskets to put on.
    Any ideas? I'm also having a hard time finding a source for parts.
    I'm freezing my patootie here!
    MO

take the blower output from a shop vac and connect it to the flow tube to the blower. turn on the heater. see what happens. if it keeps on heating then you need to replace the bearings on the combustion blower. bearings are 608Z sealed bearings.

Comment

Thanks HayZee! I may have to try this. In a moment of desperation last night we ended up opening the combustion chamber to clean it out. It was absolutely filthy. It seems to be running again, but my flame is definitely orange, not blue. I could only see it for the first few minutes of burn though because the window is now covered in soot again. Could this be symptomatic of bad blower bearings? Sorry if that's a lame question but I know absolutely zero about these things. In the past, it's just always worked!
      Thanks again!

Comment

when you get into it, check the damper solenoid. there's a small O ring that may have cracked and fell in between the shroud and the damper flapper keeping the flapper from opening fully. this will restrict the combustion air going out. as before the bearings are 608Z bearings. they are the same bearings used on inline skates so they shouldn't cost much. use a small gear puller to remove them and heat the new bearings over a 150 watt light bulb and slide them onto the shaft. don't go rapping them on with a socket and a hammer. you'll bend the long motor shaft.

Comment

Monitor 2400 Repair

Hope you already have this fixed. We are really busy this time of year and I don't check this site much. A 2400 does not have a damper solenoid and to change the bearings is not such an easy task since on some of the M2400's, you will have to drill out rivots to replace the bearings (depending on year of manufacture). This is not an easy task for the novice.
          Your problem sounds like an air flow problem. If the fan is not turning at correct RPM's, you would get an EE8 code.
          Check the exhaust and the air intake hose for obstructions.
          If you are below 3000 feet, make sure the air damper ring is in the intake hose.
          Check the air hose (rubber hose) that goes to the air switch on the inside.
          Let me know if we can be of further assistance. These instructions sound easy to us but confusing if you are not familiar with this type of repair. We would be glad to talk you thru this on the phone if necessary.
          Good luck getting your heater going.

Comment

M2400 trouble

Tubby,

Have you had extreme cold or lots of snow lately? If you have a Monitor you need to look at the exhaust pipe everyday when the temp is low. Make sure the space between the exhaust pipe and the air intake does not get frosted over or covered with snow. Over prolonged periods of time this will cause the stove to soot up (lack of air). I doubt the blower motor is the problem. It would have let you know by making a noise that would have been a dead give away. You are going to have to overhaul the burner chamber and remove all that soot. Something else to think about is your fuel. Are you sure you have #1 home heating oil? If you have been given #2 fuel oil you are in trouble. Your oil company should be able to tell you if there is a chance of #2. Bottom line is a chamber overhaul.

Tom

Comment

Monitor 2400 Error Code 13 and 14

I had the same problem with my Monitor 2400. No maintenance for seven years and then Error Code 13 and 14, would not run. I took it apart totally, cleaned everything to do with fuel..filters, pump lines, inside burner. Only thing I didn't clean was fuel rod inside burner. Long story short, I took a 1/8" drill bit and cleaned out the rod after first removing copper fuel line where it attaches to burner. The rod inside was completely packed with hard carbon buildup that is common in burnpots of oil burners. After I cleaned it out, I put it back together and "Voila"...now working and burning a nice blue flame and best of all...no more Error Codes 13 and 14. Hope this works for you.

Not sure what I am talking ab out?, I don't know technical terms but I know how I fixed the problem. Email me.

Comment

Working...
              X
              =