Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Older home with fuse box issues

I have a fuse box with main pull outs with cylinder looking things in them. I just purchased a new induction convection free standing stove to replace the wall oven and counter top drop in burner unit. There is two separate outlets for these. One has the pull out with two 30 amp cylinders and the other one has two 60 amp cylinders(what are those called?). Which one should I use for the new stove. The house has all three hole 110 outlets and I just replaced the three prong outlet for the new dryer to a four prong. The ground wire was not hooked up to any thing inside of the the outlet box so I just attached it to the correct four prong outlet connector.
    I can't figure out which one of the old cooking outlets to use. The new stove is completely computerized and don't want to fry anything in it. Also, should I use some kind of a surge protector like I use for my computers?
    Thanks,
    Curt

Hi Curt:

First the cylnders you are looking at are probably fuses. Second most dryers and stoves and ovens these days even here in the U.S. use 220 volt plugs.

If I were you I would have some one come and check your wireing. First the plug that you "rewired" and then the area that you want to place the induction oven.

Your "Rewired" plug if done incorectly could now be a shock or fire hazard
    or both.

Your new oven may require too much "power" for your present wireing if your house is still using fuses rather than breakers. Even if you some how "make" it work it. If the wireing is not proper for the "power draw" It would become a fire hazard.

I hope this helps you and please stay safe.

Sincerely, NightBird
    Last edited by NightBird; 10-30-2010, 09:15 PM.

Comment

those round cylinders are called "cartridge fuses" the small ones range from 15 to 30 amp. then they jump in value and size from 35 to 60. bigger yet they are a different configuration than a standard cartridge fuse. they now sport a blade on each end and go from 70 to 100 amp.
      an electric range will draw 60 amp easy. smaller ones like for apartments draw 40. ranges like yours are hard wired. new installations not replacements require a four wire with an isolated equipment ground.

Comment

Working...
      X
      =