Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Automatic light switch

Newbie here. Please excuse the post if it has already been discussed.
    Does anyone know if an automatic light switch is available that activates when a beam is interrupted when you enter a room? I have had bad experiences with motion detector and IR types at work. For a pantry, bath room, or small office at home, I would like a switch that works like the safety feature on a garage door. A light beam goes across the door way. Cross it going in, lights on. Cross it again going out, lights off. (My family has a disease that prevents them from turning lights off!!) Does such a switch exist?
    Thanks,
    Dave

yeah, check electronic outlets for a photo electric switch. one uses a transmitter and receiver which is direct operate. another is reflective that houses a transmitter and receiver in the same enclosure. it uses a reflector to send the beam back to the receiver.

Comment

Thank you. I am searching the sites. The units seem made for outdoor and commercial applications. I need to search for one that would work on typical 110/120v and 10 or 15 amp circuits. Also, wiring into the light switch circuit and mounting need to be researched. They seem to need cable adapters and brackets. I am learning quite a bit from this project. Any advice would be appreciated.

Comment

OMRON makes a plug in timer that can be actuated by a regular switch or a photo transistor and led light source. they also make a transmitter and receiver that uses infra red so ambient light doesn't interfere with its operation. the relay output is wired into the circuit just like a regular switch, that being either normally open or closed.

Comment

may i ask??

How many prongs on the plug?

Comment

what plug?

Comment

I have a silly question. One person enters the room. Light goes on. Second person enters the room, light goes off. How are you going to defend against that happening?

Comment

easiest way is to replace the light switch with a paragon turn to light switch. a knob is turned and starts to time out by mechanical means and shuts off after a predetermined delay.

Comment

Working...
                X
                =