Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whirlpool Dryer problem

I have a whirlpool dryer model # - LER4634JQ1. I have had the dryer about 8 years. Lately it has been taking a long time to dry clothes. My wife dried some normal things (t-shirts, undergarments, etc.) for 40 minutes and said they were almost like you had just put them in the dryer. My first thought would be the heating element but I don't really know anything about dryer repair. Could somebody lead me in the right direction? Thanks for any help.

dryer repair

how handy are you basic hand tools ? multimeter ?

Comment

dryer repair

i must advise first if you have no electrical experience you may want to possibly find a friend that does to help you or call a service person

if you go to sears darts direct website and enter your dryer model # you should be able to find a good printable schematic of the bulkhead so you can get an idea of what you will be looking at when you remove the panels.

somewhere i have a dvd showing complete service and diagnostic on that style dryer. ill look for it and you can get back to me if you want to do it yourself.

Comment

Check and/or *thoroughly* clean venting first

whirlpool dryer model LER4634JQ1. Lately it has been taking a long time to dry clothes.

My first thought would be the heating element
        Heating elements most often either work or they don't. If the dryer is heating at all I would suggest you start with its venting (see the following link).

LINK > How long can my dryer vent be?

JMO

Dan O.
        www.Appliance411.com
        The Appliance Information Site

=D~~~~~~

Comment

My friend has the same problem! Thanks, for the help, guys!

Comment

I'm pretty handy at most things except electrical. Don't know alot about it but do have some friends I could ask. I would prefer to do it myself. I'll start by checking my venting to make sure all is clear there.

Comment

dryer

i assumed you had checked that my fault for assuming. will be glad to help anyway i can

Comment

OK. Checked the venting and it seems to be ok. I checked it at the outside and took off the vent from back of the dryer and made sure they were both clear. Also pulled out the lint screen and made sure the inside tube looked ok. What would you suggest i check next. By the way thanks for all your help!

Comment

Is it heating?

Is the dryer at least heating some?

Checked the venting and it seems to be ok.
                  Was the venting totally clear from one end to the other?

Did you try the test suggested at the link I supplied of running a load with the vent totally removed to see if drying improves? (only applicable if the dryer is heating at least some)

What would you suggest i check next.
                  If the venting really isn't the problem, next would often be inspecting the heating element for a short to ground. The heating coil (looks like a spring) should be intact from one end to the other and none of it touching ground (the metal housing).

LINK > Whirlpool LER4634JQ1 Heating Element

If the dryer is not heating at all there are several of other components that will need to be checked as well.

LINK > Can anybody tell me the most likely scenarios for lack of heat in an electric dryer?

Dan O.
                  www.Appliance411.com

=D~~~~~~

Comment

Yes it is still heating but takes about twice as long to get things dry and it used to.

Comment

Yes it is still heating
                      Than did you try the test suggested at the link? That will at least absolutely rule out the venting as a possible cause.

JMO

Dan O.
                      www.Appliance411.com

=D~~~~~~

Comment

No I havent tried running it with the vent off yet. I took the vent off and looked down it and from the outside also. It looked clear and from the force of air coming out the vent from outside it didn't feel stopped up. The vent line is only about 3-4 ft. long from back of dryer to outside. Do you still think I need to try it with the line off?

Comment

I looked down it and from the outside
                          Could you see all the way from the outside to the inside?

The vent line is only about 3-4 ft. long from back of dryer to outside.
                          A straight line? Rigid metal ducting? No kinks, bends or other possible obstructions?

from the force of air coming out the vent from outside it didn't feel stopped up
                          It doesn't need to be totally blocked to affect drying.

Do you still think I need to try it with the line off?
                          Since I can't see what is there myself I can only suggest you rule out each possibility for certain than we can move on to the next possibility if necessary. What I suggested is a pretty simple test to perform to make certain before tearing into the machine?

JMO

Dan O.
                          www.Appliance411.com

=D~~~~~~

Comment

Ok vent is semi rigid metal with 2 curves. I took vent off and looked all the way thru it. Was some lint in it but not totally obstructed. At one curve it was maybe 25% blocked. I cleaned it all out and put it back on but havent tried it yet. Will keep you informed.

Comment

Dryer Problems

If you have had the dryer for 8 years and have not ever opened it up and cleaned it up (which sounds to be the case), then you should open it up (after disconnecting power of course), remove the drum, and thoroughly clean it. Also visually inspect the heating elements - look for coils possibly shorting out or other damage. In addition, clean out all venting. This is good maintenance that will not cost you. For good general guides on how to open up your electric dryer, go to Repair My Dryer - Free Tutorials To Help You Fix Your Dryer!
                              Drywall Taping & Finishing For Beginners
                              http://drywallinfo.com

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              =