Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Onkyo Stereo Receiver Issue

I was recently given an older, broken Onkyo amp/receiver (is there a distinction between the two?), I don't have it with me now and do not know the model number and stats off-hand. If that's important info I can post it soon.

I took it to a repair shop and the guy fixed it for $80, if I remember correctly he said that he replaced some parts with a relay in the power supply. He had it running for a bit on his bench. However, when I took it home it wouldn't play sound--the relay that usually ticks on at power up wasn't clicking. So I brought it back and the guy was a bit confused but took a look. He ended up replacing a transistor and not charging for the extra labor. When I went to pick it up he turned it on and the relay clicked, he said he had played the radio through it for a day.

However, when I got home and plugged everything in it wouldn't work. No relay click. Is it possible that something is breaking while I transport it to and from the repair shop (about 30 miles)? My only other thought as to what is going on is that I live in a pretty old cabin with only two-prong outlets. Is it possible that the amp draws more current than my older electrical wiring can handle and is somehow breaking something inside the amp each time i plug it in and turn it on?

I'd hate to have to drive it back to the repair shop again, I'd feel like I was cheating him for doing the work and then me somehow breaking it each time.

Any advice/comments would be great!
Working...
X
=