Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Poorly Designed Walk-In Totally Useless Help!

Collapse

Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Poorly Designed Walk-In Totally Useless Help!

When they built my house in the 70's they put a walk-in closet in the master problem is that the back half hangs over what is the open front porch and thus it is useless in winter because you don't get adequate heat (the floor vent is in the middle of the floor in the bedroom by the front window and a good two-four feet from the closet door and quite a distance from the back wall) and anything against the back wall on the shelf or by the wall that is the outside corner gets mold on it & wall has for nearly 30 years as my parents lived here prior to my owning it. We've tried to fix it in all kinds of ways over the years, shore up the insulation and leave the door open, considered cutting a hole in the wall to the between the closet and the bedroom on the otherside to get some circulation you name it but, since it is long and narrow nothing we can think of has worked so far and before we try the "cut into the wall option" we want to see if there is another way. Do you have any ideas that don't require you needing to plug in and install a heat source, or totally gut the whole heating system/house that would fix the issue and make it a more usuable space?

Is there any ducting running through the attic above or near this closet that you can drop a vent from ?
    You could change the closet door to a louvered door this will allow far better air flow from the conditioned area.
    If the walls, ceiling and floor (over the porch) are properly insulated you really shouldn't be getting that big a difference, do you know what insulation is in place ?
    If you have an outlet in the closet you could use a radiator style heater turned way down low, to help until you can find a solution.
    The only way mold can form is with moisture, if mold is an issue then there are condensation issues in the closet which means that insulation is missing allowing warm and cold air to meet.....hence condensation.
    Little about a lot and a lot about a little.
    Every day is a learning day.

Comment

To answer the questions posed by pushkins no unfortunately there is no venting for heat for the attic as it is not a large enough space to be used for a room(only about a three-four foot clearance before the roof up there if memory serves me correct as haven't been up there is years myself leave that up to the Mister of the house) and the original plan of the house didn't account for this space to be used as a room. There also is not a plug or outlet of anykind in the closet and the closest one would require running an extention cord for about two feet not really a good option for first thing in the morning when you are getting dressed before the coffee kicks in and are slightly clumbsy. I don't really like the idea of something that would use additional electricity however, with the increase in rates and introduction of "Time of Use" smartmetres here in Ontario trying to cut down on the things that are plugged in to keep the bills low. I also fear tripping or bumping any "heaters" placed in there because of the long narrow nature of the closet. We might try the door option but, I think we are probably going to take the door right off as the master bedroom itself if rather small and would prefer not to have some "intrude" into the space besides the fact we leave all of the other folding closet doors in the house open anyways most of the time so you can just "look and grab" what you want in the morning. As for the insulation I really don't know what kind there is I believe it is the old fashioned "pink" stuff but, the grade I couldn't tell you to be honest. I don't really want to rip the whole thing appart right now if I can help it because we have a 13 mth old in the house but, if push comes to shove that might be the only way to go.

Comment

When I mentioned attic ducting I wasn't asking if the attic was heated, what I was asking was is there any ducting running in the attic "space" an easy way to tell is to look and see if there are any registers in the ceiling, if there is then it's an easy and fairly inexpensive fix to add another register in this closet.
        Removing the door will most certainly help BUT you really need to address why this closet gets so cold (lack of insulation).
        Little about a lot and a lot about a little.
        Every day is a learning day.

Comment

Working...
        X
        =