Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Water leak from front steps

Hi - New to site.

This is a 2005 construction house - been here 2 years.
    With heavy rains and snow melts, water leaks from our front steps into the basement. From bottom to top we have: basement floor, support joists in a rectangular area, corrugated metal plate, concrete, ? flashing, pavers. The water seems to get between or around pavers, to the metal plate, and drips over the exposed edge in basement onto the supporting 2x4s and 2x6s holding it all up. I think eventually the front of our house is going to fall in! My guess is the flashing +/- grading of the steps is bad. If I were to redo it, what materials are typically used for the flashing/sealing.

Thanks in advance!

the house looks to have a poured footing, poured walls interlocking at the footing. no mention of a vulcanized basement sealant or drain tiles around the perimeter. the grade should be pitched away from the foundation. anything added to but not fastened to the foundation should have a gradual pitch away from the foundation. below the pavers you need a good 8 inches of gravel, a moisture membrane, a pounded rock dust base and a latex portland mix between the pavers.

Comment

Thanks for the input!

In the photo of the front of house, the foundation extends from the right side straight across under the bricks on first platform (you can see where front row of regular size bricks has gap and tilts down due to settling of larger ones in front), staying about 1-1.5 feet high the whole way around. The grading near the house doesn't seem to be the problem.
      The side closeup photo shows copper 'flashing' that rests just beneath the bricks and extends only about 10 inches out from house, and so I think water is getting under there and leaching into basement. The underlying concrete that's poured over the corrugated metal plate is likely not graded enough. That shiny metal plate seen in the other pic is below and holding up almost all of the front steps.
      I want to put a new moisture barrier/'flashing' under the pavers in the entire area to prevent leaks - what should I use? Currently there is: Copper sheets, black tar-like material, heavy black plastic sheets, etc?
      thx again.

Comment

Or you could re flash it and pour a concrete slab then reinstall pavers over the top.
        Little about a lot and a lot about a little.
        Every day is a learning day.

Comment

Yeah, thats what I'll probably do, but I'm not excited about replacing the existing concrete slab under the flashing. Also, I hear putting concrete on top of concrete is bad news. I'm hoping just placing flashing over the entire area will be sufficient. I guess I'll see how things look when the pavers and old flashing are all removed.

thanks again for the help!

Comment

Ok I have a better and easier idea, remove all the pavers, if possible install flashing that is longer on it's base than what is there now, an extra 6" should be plenty, when you install the flashing seal it to the existing concrete base with a 100% silicone sealant/adhesive, then reinstall the pavers. You may have to lay some pavers on it overnight while the silicone dries.
            That should solve your issues, one note though you need to make sure you seal the ends as well.
            Last edited by pushkins; 11-24-2010, 08:17 PM.
            Little about a lot and a lot about a little.
            Every day is a learning day.

Comment

Sounds good. will give it a try when I get some time to tackle it, hopefully before things freeze up here in New England.
              Appreciate the help.

Comment

Working...
              X
              =