Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 30yr old oil furnace stack control repair

i have a UL 85-ds oil furnace, with a mercoid pyratherm type jm stack control unit. it was installed in 1971 (i think).

my problem is that the aperture arm disconnecting the transformer (i think i'm using the right terminology) has to be manually toggled on or off.
    when i google it all i come up with are archived canadian pdf's 1903-1920something
    here's some pictures of what it is:
    OFF

transformer in down position

TO TURN ON

transformer in up position, pushing down on aperture arm

TO TURN OFF

rotating the thermo rod clockwise to disengage aperture arm
    so basically the thermostat doesnt control the heat, i have to manually engage/disengage the stack control to turn it off/on.

anyone know what is/isnt happening?
    need more pics?

EDIT: I CANT POST PICTURES UNTIL I HAVE MADE 15 POSTS
    Last edited by commiejoe81; 11-30-2010, 03:16 PM.

maybe i can link to it this way
    go to photobucket.com
    search for user jasongregg
    click the stack control album

Comment

Originally posted by commiejoe81 View Post
      i have a UL 85-ds oil furnace, with a mercoid pyratherm type jm stack control unit. it was installed in 1971 (i think).

my problem is that the aperture arm disconnecting the transformer (i think i'm using the right terminology) has to be manually toggled on or off.
      when i google it all i come up with are archived canadian pdf's 1903-1920something
      here's some pictures of what it is:
      OFF

transformer in down position

TO TURN ON

transformer in up position, pushing down on aperture arm

TO TURN OFF

rotating the thermo rod clockwise to disengage aperture arm
      so basically the thermostat doesnt control the heat, i have to manually engage/disengage the stack control to turn it off/on.

anyone know what is/isnt happening?
      need more pics?

EDIT: I CANT POST PICTURES UNTIL I HAVE MADE 15 POSTS
      i am not sure i know what you have but if you want to send me a few pic. i will take a look. Later Paul paulm989@hotmail.com

Comment

did you get the pictures?

Comment

Originally posted by commiejoe81 View Post
          did you get the pictures?
          No i did not get any pic. in my email. I do not do photobucket, facebook or any of those things. Paul

Comment

oh, ok.
            well anyways i fixed it.
            it wasnt the stack control, it wasnt a thermocouple (someone told me to replace it, but after tearing the whole furnace apart, i later read there is no thermocouple in an oil furnace.
            so after i got everything back together, someone else told me to just take the (two) wires from the thermostat and touch them, to see if the furnace turns on.
            i did and it did.
            so then a bit later i ahd the bright idea of replacing the batteries in the thermostat, i did, and now it works.

Comment

Working...
            X
            =