Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Genie Door Opener Model GX9000 Screw Drive

I have a Genie Door Opener Model GX9000 Screw Drive. Probably around 1994.
    It will open a short distance then stop, If I press the button again it goes the other way. If I hold the button it might go all the way, but sometimes it just stops. It sounds like the motor is really strained, like it is running at half speed, like it is a 220V that dropped a leg. This is with the door released from the screw.
    The door is a sectional and I can raise it manually very easy, plus I released the door from the screw, so that takes it out of the equation.
    I have kept the screw greased and the door rollers lubed. I can turn the motor by hand from the back where the tension adjust is and it turns the motor and screw easy.

So is the motor shot??? If it is I was looking at this one.
    Genie Powerlift Plus 1/2 HP Screw Drive Garage Door Opener. $177.00 online $208.00 delivered to the door. Or does someone recommend a different one?

I thought of pulling the screw from the motor and seeing how the motor runs then, but that I didn't want to get into all that if someone knew what was wrong.
    I don't have the money for a new one if I can fix this one, but I guess $200 isn't too awful bad if I have to replace it.

could be the coupler that connects the motor to the screw rail. pull them apart and check it out, there are 2 screws holding it together.

I would recommend a belt drive for less maintenance and longevity. the screwdrives are good but get noisy, require lubrication, and have a weaker rail than a liftmaster, or genie beltdrive.

ryan

Comment

Thanks that sounds like a good place for me to look. I was thinking about separating the motor from the screw to see if the motor still sounds strained. hopefully this weekend i can check that. I will post back and let you know what i find.

Comment

Found the problem sort of

Found the problem sort of. I took the track and the two sections of screw down. I left the screw that goes through the motor. I tried the motor and it sounded great. So I pulled the rest of the screw from the track and cleaned it real good, thinking the old grease was making it stiff. I slid the screw back in a all nice and clean and it was hard to turn. now keep in mind it is only the track( or rail) and the screw, they are in my hand not connected to the door or motor. one section at a time the screw would slide through the rail but when the two sections of screw are joined it got tight. So i loosened the rail joints and re tightened them. It is noisy now but works like new again.

Comment

Working...
        X
        =