Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pointing brick....

Well, this may be more than just pointing it up. Many of the bricks in this 145 year old house are loose and really need to be reset. This will be next years job, but I'm gathering info for it now. I read someplace about the old brick needs the 'old' type mortar. (May have been on H R F!) Can't remember when or where I saw it. Is there a special mix for this old brick? The walls are two layers thick of red brick. The inner layer is not fired and crumbles easily when in water. But it is the structural part of the house, as there are horizontal 2x4's placed (usually every 7th coarse) for attaching wall studs. The outer bricks have been fired, but the mortar from long ago has deteriorated in many places. It was suggested I use a mix of cement and mortar. At one time it was suggested to not use modern stuff as it does not change with the brick and could cause this old brick to crumble. It's a two story, so when I do this, I want to do it once. Any ideas on the proper mix? Would it matter if I used mortar/'crete? Would it matter if I used 'crete? Is it possible to use some kind of air operated mortar applicator? Is there such a tool?

What you have is a "true" brick house I hear so often people say I live in a strong brick house when in reality they live in a wood house with a brick veneer. I'm surprised that at 145 years old it hasn't been tuck pointed before this ?
    You are correct you need to use a specific mortar for old bricks, the mortar you need has more lime and less cement in the mix. If you use modern mixes available from big box stores the mix will degrade you existing bricks.
    Almost all brick supply places will have the mix on hand or readily available.

Here's a useful link :
    Using the correct mortar when tuckpointing old brick | Threshold Properties
    Little about a lot and a lot about a little.
    Every day is a learning day.

Comment

Tuck pointing...

I'm not the least bit surprised, Pushkins. With all the other deviations from proper building codes, notwithstanding the original structure, this is about the least of the issues! Interestingly enough, the original structure was better fashioned and constructed than the new (45 year old) addition. And some the electrical...whew!! In fact I have posted some here about several of those issues.
      Anyway, thanks for the link, Pushkins.

Comment

Working...
      X
      =