Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2 Pole Breaker

Is a 2-pole circuit breaker always 240volts or can it control two 120 volt devices?

Sure it can control two 120 volt circuits. Only thing is that if one side trips it'll open the other side because of an external or internal tie-bar.

Comment

I'm not an electrician, but I think you will find that if you use a 230 volt double pole breaker as two separate 115 volt circuits, and one trips, the other will stay engaged. Even though the breakers are side by side, they are still separate from one another and on different phases.

Comment

Speedbump - I am an electrician and some breakers use a plastic tie-bar between the handles. Some like square D have an internal trip mechanism that opens both poles when one trips. The different phase correlation is only when the breaker is used on a 240 circuit.

Comment

Your right some do. But some don't and the tie-bar can be removed.

I have even seen some with the tie-bar trip only breaker. I think the metal tie's are probably better suited than the plastic ones.

Comment

Originally posted by Speedbump View Post

I have even seen some with the tie-bar trip only breaker. I think the metal tie's are probably better suited than the plastic ones.
            Then it is NOT a "two-pole" breaker.

True two-pole breaker are internal common trip as well as having handle ties.

Comment

Working...
            X
            =