Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Clickable" laminate flooring

Hi all,

I'm installing Uniclick laminate flooring in the rec room, and the room is about 16 feet wide. I understand that I need to put the tongue and groove on the long side of the boards together. But I also have to put the tongue and grooves of the butt ends together BEFORE I click the long sides. So it appears that I have to "click" together the butt ends for a 16 foot length, then hold it really steady while trying to fit the tongue of the long side into the groove of the last row I laid... Not a fun job, and VERY picky -- the long edges seem to have to be held really tightly into the groove while clicking it into place. Any better way to do this? Have I completely missed something? I'm not having ANY luck doing it on my own, and this isn't hubby's notion of how to spend his day off....

Thanks!

Toolgal,

You need to get a tap block that fits your Uniclick. You snap the long side in and then using the tap block, tap the new piece down into the piece beside it. The tap block protects the tongue and grooves. Also there are fairly wide plys that are designed for this system they have a small turn down on one end to catch the end of the last piece and a larger turned up flange for you to hammer against.

Good luck,
    Jim

'Just a handyman trying to help'
    'Just a handyman trying to help'

Comment

Hi Toolgal
      This laminate flooring is pretty good stuff. As for installing a full length of the room at a time , you don't have to do it like that. After your first row on the wall (tongue against wall) , stagger the next piece so that the seams don't line up(cut one piece, or use the last piece you had to cut, on the other end) then snap it in place . The next full length piece can be snapped in place, as close as you can get to the other butt joint without overlapping. Then once you have done that, you can tap the butt joints together with the tool Jim shows. They will come together and seat flush. Not all laminates can be done this way but I used uniclic too and no problem. One piece at a time, tap it with the tool, first length wise , then on end joint, and so on.
      Remember , even when you clic a full piece in place , it should be tapped together on the long side with the tool and you will see a tighter fit.
      Hope this helps
      Kevcules

Comment

If you are not a professonal laminate flooring installer, problem happens easily when you intall the planks youself. It will be much better for you to watch a video displaying the instructions of laminate flooring installation if you don't plan to hire an professional installer.

Comment

Working...
        X
        =