Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hooking outdoor woodburner to furnace

I am hooking an outdoor woodburner water pump to an existing furnace fan. I have wire run from waterpump to furnace. Just need help on what wire is fan. Need water pump to run when existing furnace fan turns on.

how is this wood burner connected to the house? Is it a hot water baseboard system or is there a hot air ducting system to the house? I would think there is a hot water to hot air heat exchanger.
    Please clarify.

Comment

Wood burner pump....

I don't think that pump should be wired with any controller. It is meant to run all the time. Unless you have glycol, the water left in the ground from the stove to the house could freeze. Not to mention the change in temp of the supply to and from the house furnace heat exchanger. The water in the heat exchanger should always be at the ready with heat so that, when the blower does kick on, it won't blow air through the exchanger for the length of time that it would take for the hot water to drive through the path (losing heat along the way) and make it to that exchanger. In the mean time, your receiving cold air. Or certainly less than desirable warm air. That pump is a very low power consuming unit, usually in the range of less than several watts. What does the installer suggest?

Comment

Originally posted by badgerfan View Post
        I am hooking an outdoor woodburner water pump to an existing furnace fan. I have wire run from waterpump to furnace. Just need help on what wire is fan. Need water pump to run when existing furnace fan turns on.
        mrcaptainbob is right that pump is made to run all the time for all the reasons
        he said. You can install another thermostat that will be for the wood heat.
        This stat can turn on your blower by energizing the red to green post at your furnace. This way you can set you wood stat a few degrees higher that your other stat and it will be a automatic system. Later Paul

Comment

Since the heat source is constant (the wood fire) there is no reason not to run the circulator full time.

Comment

Working...
          X
          =