Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Two wall heaters, one thermostat, and only one heater working now

We have two King Electric PAW 2422 (240V) in-wall heaters that have been installed in our media room for the past several years. When we moved in, I switched out the outdated wall thermostat with the King ESP230 digital thermostat. Everything worked fine for 18-20 months and then one of the heaters refused to turn on. I'm getting power to the heater itself (verified with multimeter) and have replaced this particular heater with a known working unit and, while they both work when installed elsewhere, will not work when installed in this one location. I replaced the digital thermostat today with another analog double pole just to make sure it wasn't the thermostat and it still doesn't work. Does anyone have any insight as to what else I may be able to try to get this heater working again?

Thanks!

Is this thermostat integral with one unit or is it a wall type? Analog thermostats are two pole - 240 in 240 out. Current ratings for the thermostat is for one heater only. I would suggest using an interposing relay that would pass the combined load of both heaters.
    Did you check the small overload devices on the heater for "open?"

Comment

Actually electric heat thermostats come in single-pole and double pole. Both versions are typically rated for 22 amps. This can be a combination of any amount of heaters up to that rating, depending on the circuit size. A 20A circuit is typical, but a 30A is not uncommon. Any electric heat circuit can only be loaded to 80%.

All that said, I think you have a bad splice somewhere. It is possible to get a correct reading but not have proper voltage when a load is applied.

The problem is obviously not the heaters or the new thermostat, so I would check every box and splice on this circuit. Also, check the connections in the panel.

Comment

Thank you both for the replies. I was able to trace the issue back to the splice point where a rodent we were fighting almost a year ago had chewed through one of the hot wires.

Comment

Working...
        X
        =