Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Monitor parts and manuals

You can buy manuals from a number of Monitor dealers. This is a fact. I have bought manuals from dealers all over the country from Petersburg VA to Thomasville MN and Fairbanks AK, not to mention EBAY. You just have to find one that is up to speed on the reality of a Monitor heater. What is a real shame is there are dealers out there that will sell you a $450 main circuit board or a blower motor but will not sell a manual that will help you make the correct decision on which part you need. One of the reasons you see so many threads about Monitor manuals is people will not use the dealer system. There are responsible dealers out there that can and will help you with what ever problem you have. There are also dealers or stove mechanics out there that don’t have a clue about a Monitor. It is unfortunate the customer has to wade through all the mess to find someone that can really help. Part of the problem is that Monitor has not policed their dealers. They have a good stove, but it does require maintenance after a while. Bottom line, find a dealer that will work with you and if that fails use EBAY for your parts and manuals. You must remember that Monitor 22’s and 41’s are very old and there may not be any electrical parts available.

Stay warm, Tom

Hi and thanks for the info but I still can't find the manual download link,can you email it to me at jarg1@gwi.net Thanks

Comment

Monitor 441 age

You mention that the Monitor 41 is old, and I was hoping you may be able to give me some information about how I might learn what the age of a Monitor 441 might be. My neighbor has two of them for sale, and I am trying to determine;
      1. Do I want to buy one given some of the problems I see posted on this forum?
      2. How old are they?
      3. Would the serial number tell me anything about the age?
      4. What might be a fair and reasonable price to pay for a Monitor of this type?

Comment

M441 used

M441 is the third generation of Monitor heaters. The M2400 is the forth and last of the heaters. Monitor has stopped production of all oil heaters. They have stated they will be supporting the line with parts for some time to come. From the Monitor web site the M2400 came out in 2000. Any M441 will be older than 2000. If the heater has seen a lot of service you could be looking at a combustion chamber overhaul as well as a blower motor overhaul. Both together will be costly. Any Monitor 441 you look at is going to need service, unless it just received a complete service. Monitor has been very random with their serial numbers. My 1997 M441 has a serial # of 804894. I can not figure the numbers out. Maybe there is someone on this site that has a better handle on them. Here in Alaska a Monitor 441 is not worth much. This area is very remote and to service a Monitor you either have to do it yourself or air freight it to a hub community like Bethel. Freight both ways is $250 or more. Someone from the East Coast could give you a better idea about the cost.

Be careful with a used heater.

Tom

Comment

Thanks to Hawkins I have a manual and I bought a reconditioned 442 with a 1 year warrantee for 425.00...I would buy both of those heaters if I were you and just learn how to fix them seeing that they wont make them anymore but will sell parts.I don't understand why they will stop making them.The big thing of course is the cost of a new board just don't run them on a generator,I am going to run mine on a good surge protector on the advice of a dealer.
          The heaters are very popular in Maine and there are quite a few small dealers and shops that work on them and there is always the local Monitor "Guru"if you ask around.

Comment

electrical protection

Jarg,

You are correct about not using a generator, or at least being very careful about it. A main circuit board for a Monitor costs about $450 or so. I would use a line conditioner rather than a surge protector. A line conditioner catches both sides of the power cycle. Tripp Lite is a company that sells all kinds of electrical protection. They offer a line conditioner for $170 that will cover up to 600 watts. There is some talk about Mathais Electric in NC that will repair a Monitor board. I have not seen a real report on their work as yet. They have been in the business for a long time now and it would be nice if someone would report on their work.

Tom

Comment

still looking for wire diagram

Hawkins,
              perhaps you can help, i am still searching threads trying to find a wiring diagram for a very old monitor combustion blower motor. I put a meter across all the possible wires and the only pair that I came up with was between the white and read at 167 ohms.
              I put 120 volts to them and the motor does not start, I am thinking I need a start cap.
              I am in the process of re-purposing the heater blower motor and do not have the schematic. So if any one has a schematic could they kindly tell me what value of cap is required across the line to start the motor?
              No other combination of wires rang out to anything usefull, so I am guessing that the red and white are the line in and all the other pairs are used for speed sensing?
              Any thoughts?

Comment

Monitor 30 Combustion Motor spec

The only Monitor heater that has a red and white wire on the combustion motor is a Monitor 30. That heater is more than 25 years old. The resistance measurements for that motor are: WH and RE 195 OHMs, GR and RE Infinity, OR and YE 300 OHMs, BL and YE Infinity. Voltage is 110 AC. It has been 15 years since I have seen a Monitor 30 so I am not much help. This site will not allow a file big enough to send you the wiring diagram. If you want me to send it via EMAIL I will. It will come in two attachments as it is a two page diagram.

Tom

Comment

yup looks old also

Hawkins111,
                  The only pair i could get any reading was between red and white so I am guessing the other pair orange yellow is damaged.
                  that is ok, i am just looking to run it on one speed, dont even really care what speed.

only other piece of info i am missing then is what rating cap should i use across the red white pair?

thanks for your help.
                  Last edited by North pole guy; 04-14-2012, 08:41 PM. Reason: email address removal

Comment

M30 blower motor

The wiring spec calls for a 2uF cap.

I'll send you that portion of the spec.

Tom

Comment

North pole guy, you can send private messages by running the cursor over the user name and it will give you the option of sending a PM. So if you want to remove you email address and send it by PM it wouldn't be out there for everyone to see.

Comment

thanks fordman59.

Comment

Working...
                        X
                        =