Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ceramic Tile Removal

My daughter just bought a 1500 sq.ft. bungalo that has carpets throughout and ceramic tile in the kitchen. They are planning to have hardwood installed in all of the carpeted areas, and in the kitchen. This is due to the condition of the carpet and the ceramic floor. Getting the carpet up is relatively easy I hope, but my lack of experience is in the removal of the ceramic. The hardwood installer said that it would cost about $1100 to tear out the carpet and the ceramic. He also said that they could save that money if they did it themselves. Here is where dad comes in! He also said that the reason the ceramic floor has cracked so badly is because it was not laid with the expanded metal grid, rather, simply thinsetted to the plywood sub-floor. The ceramic tile goes completely under the cabinets. My query is how to remove, thinking simply go at it with a sledge hammer for the most part, but how do I cut or score it at the cabinet bases to allow the hardwood to come up to the cabinet base, with maybe a 1/4 round to trim it off? Removing the cabinets is certainly not an option that I want to explore as this would add significant time to the job and re-doing the counter top is a skill set that I don't have. And when the tile is removed, what can I use to remove the remaining thin set from the sub floor? Is my best option to do the wall to wall carpet removal and leave the ceramic removal to the pros?
    Any thoughts or comments is greatly appreciated.
    Thanks to all who reply
    "The measure of a man's real character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out." - Thomas B. Macaulay

Well at least it sounds like you have a good start on the floor (bad tile job) You can buy a long handled floor vinyl scraper (Lowes and HD have them in the flooring department approx. $20) and starting at the doorway scrape up under the tile, the tool should remove most of the glue as well.
    For stubborn jobs a hammer drill with a splade bit will also work, often you can rent them at rental stores.
    At the cabinets you might find the tile stops just under the base, have you checked ?
    If the tile goes all the way back you can use a roto zip and run a cut along the cabinet base.
    Little about a lot and a lot about a little.
    Every day is a learning day.

Comment

Thanks Pushkins,
      She lives about 8 hrs. from me and will not actually take possession of the house until Jan 28. (move in Feb 14) and I want to arrive prepared for this job. Not sure what a Rotozip is but will find out. What you have suggested kind of sounds like what I would do to remove vinyl tile, however I am trying to remove ceramic. Am I wrong in my understanding of your response? If I am, I will be looking for a Rotozip.
      Thanks again.
      "The measure of a man's real character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out." - Thomas B. Macaulay

Comment

The Rotozip may or may not fit under the toe kick. The blade itself is 3 1/2", so if it doesn't fit, an undercut saw such as this one: 3-3/8" Blade Toe-Kick Saw

However, it's my understanding that this particular saw doesn't accommodate a blade capable of cutting tile, and the more expensive brands that do will run upwards of three hundred dollars.

Just because the tile was adhered directly to plywood doesn't necessarily make it easy to remove. A properly-installed double layer of plywood and the appropriate thinset can make a decent tile floor. It's difficult to determine how much effort will be required to demolish the tile installation until you actually start tearing it up.

You may be able to remove the toe kick without damaging it which would allow you to chip up the tile underneath the cabinet far enough to allow the new tile to go in. As far as taking up the thinset, that's a job you'll have to tackle when you get to it. It could be as simple as using a scraper like Pushkins suggested, or as radical as tearing up the plywood.

Comment

Yes the scraper I'm talking about is a long handled heavy duty vinyl floor remover, I've used this tool many times for ceramic tile removal, like I mentioned though the success and easiness is dependent upon the adhesion to the sub floor.
          You may well be able to use a masonry chisel (or an old chisel) to break up the tile at the toe kick at least enough to remove the tile up to the kick.
          Little about a lot and a lot about a little.
          Every day is a learning day.

Comment

Many thanks to all who responded. Valuable info indeed. I am not looking forward to this job, although from what was written it looks like just go at it. I shall look for the scrapers and other "hand" tools mentioned. Also removing the kick plates is a good idea. Even if I damage them, they can be rebuilt from new material and painted to match. I looked at the RotoZip that Kman suggested. Neat tool, I may just get on even though it won't cut ceramic. it looks neat anyway. Any excuse to buy a new tool, as how else does a guy get new tools if not for a new project? I will begin the lifting up of the tiles and judge the tools needed after I start. Hopefully they will come up with all of the thin-set still attached. Ha, I can dream can't I?
            Again, thanks for all of the speedy and helpful responses. This forum is the BEST.
            Cheers, Starchy

Comment

Tile floor...

Is the counter top tiled?

Comment

Hi mrcatptainbob,
                The counter is plastic laminate (Arborite) so it can be removed. As it turns out I am not going to my daughter's to help do this job. Last week my wife suffered a ruptured brain anurism, I am spending all my time at the hospital. My daughter has had to hire a crew to remove the floor. So thanks to all who have responded and offered excellent ideas and advice.
                cheers, Starchy

Comment

Working...
                X
                =