Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kenmore Dryer

My Kenmore dryer is about 8 years old. The top gets very HOT. I make sure I don't place anything on top of it while running for fear it will cause a fire or anything plastic will melt. What is causing the surface to heat up? I took the top off, but there is nothing there that heats up except the drum itself. Is the drum heating the surface? Should there be a layer of insulation between the drum and dryer surface? Thanks in advance.

Kenmore Dryer

More than likely you have a heater element shorting out against the cabinet. When you open the door do you see a glowing element? I helped a guy fix his Kenmore and the top got hot as you describe.

At any rate, you should not run the dryer until this is fixed. The red hot heating element could start a fire inside your cabinet with all the lint. The fix can be as simple as taking out the drum and placing the element back onto the insulator it popped off of. See the link below for detailed instructions on how to do this.

Kenmore Dryer Heating Element Repair
    Last edited by Drywall DIY Guy; 01-22-2011, 10:35 PM.
    Drywall Taping & Finishing For Beginners
    http://drywallinfo.com

Comment

Check and *thoroughly* clean the venting

Kenmore dryer is about 8 years old
      I'm afraid that is not enough information to identify the appliance in question. What is needed is its exact model number.

The top gets very HOT. What is causing the surface to heat up?
      Most often that condition is caused by poor venting (see the following link). If the heat can't be expelled by the vent, it has nowhere to go but rise.

LINK > How long can my dryer vent be?

Should there be a layer of insulation between the drum and dryer surface?
      No. Only minimal heat should get there in a properly operating dryer.

Discontinue use until the condition can be looked into and corrected! It could be a potential fire hazard!

JMO

Dan O.
      www.Appliance411.com
      The Appliance Information Site

=D~~~~~~

Comment

Working...
      X
      =