Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Retaining wall!!!

I am trying to price out a retaining wall for my backyard and i am having trouble finding out if i can use those Stacked Stone retaining wall systems. MOST retailers wont talk to me when they find out i am doing it myself and i am NOT a contractor. The wall is only 5 feet tall. I am trying to figure out which stones i can use, and if it is more cost effective to just build it out of cynder block and rebar. 125 feet long, 5 feet tall. If anyone has used these stones OR can tell me the COST PER SQAURE FOOT of each that would be great, Thanks.

It's kinda hard to give you what you want, in terms of "stacked stones" this refers to natural rock carefully stacked and this alone can lead to numerous types of stone and prices and locality can and will dictate prices. Often boulder walls can be cheaper as they don't often need a foundation, the weight of the boulder is the foundation.
    A cinder block wall will require a foundation as deep as your local frost line, it will require reinforcement out of the foundation and most probably horizontally as well, also drain holes will have to be allowed for in the wall max. 48" apart (at the base) to allow water an exit path from behind the wall.
    You could use the stones (made from concrete) that look like old rock blocks, these can free stack and have pins inserted in holes between layers to tie the rows together, they step back slightly with each row to help with the pressure from behind the wall. They also allow the free flow of water past them and out the front reducing hydraulic pressure which is usually 80% of a walls failure to start with. These walls still require a foundation but not concrete, crushed limestone, crushed granite etc... compacted into a trench is the most common then the blocks are installed and levelled one row at a time.
    Your stone, rock or boulders are going to be available at landscape supply places (as well might the concrete blocks). Adams Co. is one supplier that comes to mind with the concrete stone lookalikes.
    This link will give you some ideas and help> Pavers and Retaining Walls by Belgard Pavers
    Little about a lot and a lot about a little.
    Every day is a learning day.

Comment

Working...
    X
    =