Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Perforeming IDE at start up....

It never did that before! I have the whole computer system on a power strip. After normal shut down, I switch the strip off. to use, I turn the power strip on, some lights blink on the computer and that's it. Then I manually press the button on the front of the computer and it winds up. Well, lately it's been starting as soon as I turn the power strip on. And at that point, a black screen comes up with a lot of stuff about it being Dell and such, but the last line reads "performing IDE....". after a while it comes up with more stuff and asks for either F1 or F2. F2 is for setup. So I check that and find the time is set to zero and the date is from Nov. 2003. I reset all that, but it doesn't stay. Also, it says something about a 3.5 diskette at startup. It appears as if all the setup stuff is wrong. How do I know what SHOULD be the right setups? And how do I get the time stamp to remain?

sounds like your CMOS battery is going out. It's a flat battery on your motherboard inside your computer. It usually has a number on it, find a replacement at radio shack, some local dealer or online.

Replace that and see if your time sticks. If so then you'll be able to solve your other problems...
    Try

Comment

once you have your battery replaced, go into your BIOS and see what settings you may need to change.

Comment

BIOS settings.

I will replace the battery. Interesting on that. But, as for the BIOS, other than the time, how do I know what the correct settings should be? 3.5 floppy or 'C', or some other drive?

Comment

you probably want to press F1 to continue. If you press F2 then you can set your bios to:

1. power up on button vs power up on power
          2. set your boot priority order, which I like to be floppy then cd then hard drive
          Try

Comment

BIOS settings...

I will do that next session.

Comment

it probably won't stick until you replace that battery.
              Try

Comment

Battery issue...

Thanks, Troy! A new battery and all is well! I'd've never guessed it would have that kind of impact.

Comment

Working...
                X
                =