Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Why does a GE dryer coil keep failing?

Thanks {vb:rawphrase post_thanks_given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    73 Posts

Exclamation

The thermostat tested ok with the multimeter, at R200 is in the 5 range. Does that reading sound right?
    A dryer thermostat should be tested on a Rx1 scale and show 0 (zero) resistance when closed, infinite resistance when open.

can the coil be fixed by sottering?
    No. The coil gets hotter than any solder, even silver solder, will withstand. If the coil is broken it needs to be replaced.

It can be very dangerous to jury-rig a dryer element. Dryers are already a major source of house fires.

Dan O.
    www.Appliance411.com
    The Appliance Information Site

=D~~~~~~

Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Yesterday, I bought a new coil ( I suspected that soldering was not a good idea!). Although the parts distributor made it very clear not to stretch the coil, like the Electrolux instructions say to, we did not, the first time installing it. I showed the distributor what previously occurred with the break in the coil. The owner himself placed a 2nd (new) coil in my heater pan assembly and said he never saw a coil that was too long, that they all need stretching to fit normally. We carefully double checked all, and it seemed good. Looks like Electrolux is producing a coil that is defective. They would not credit me, said I need to take it up the issue with Electrolux. The coil seems a tad large for the unit, we placed it in the unit carefully, and we have double checked the model number in numerous ways. Additionally, their instructions are incorrect as in step 2 it states to: "Stretch the coil to fit...".

Today, I put the unit back together. It started, (hooray! ) heated up, and then there was a dreaded "SNAP" sound. We let it run a little bit. No heat was generated. We took it apart. Ends up the coil busted again. There was no contact with the heater pan assembly this time. What keeps causing this? Again, this the second new coil to break immediately.

I think I am getting a zero resistance on the safety heater thermostat.

What is next, Pros? PLEASE advise. Thanks again!

Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Drywall DIY guy, thanks for response and the heads up! I am determining if that a new unit will be my next move! I cannot keep throwing money out the dryer door...

Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    73 Posts

Unhappy

this the second new coil to break immediately.
    The only thing that would normally cause the coil to fail prematurely and quickly without it being shorted to ground is if two or more of the 'links' in the coil were spaced too closely together. That can occur when bending it to tread the coil through the insulators.

Such a condition would cause a 'hot spot' at that point and premature failure. It wouldn't however be "immediate", it would take some amount of time to get to the point of the coil melting due to the excessive heat. It might not take a lot of time but some amount for sure.

The owner himself placed a 2nd (new) coil in my heater pan assembly
    That should eliminate the possibility the coil was installed poorly as described above. A trained technician should have installed it properly.

I'm afraid I do not know why you are experiencing the problems you described. If you wanted to try again, the supplier at the following link does offer a "365 Days. Period." warranty on the parts they sell.

LINK > Frigidaire 5300622034 Dryer Element Coil

Sorry I couldn't be more help.

Dan O.
    www.Appliance411.com
    The Appliance Information Site

=D~~~~~~

Thread Information