Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anchors to attach cat pen to house?

I have a couple of indoor-only cats and I'd like to build a fenced-in pen attached to the house which they can climb in and out of when the weather permits via an open window. I am thinking I would have to take it down in the Winter (lots of snow here) so I'd make it modular for easy assembly and storage.

What I am not clear on is the best way to attach it securely, and temporarily to the house. My siding is 5/8 vertical cedar planking over sheathing so fortunately nice and flat. I don't want to use anything that was proud from the house, I want any fasteners to be recessed or flush. I also don't want the elements to be able to get in through holes when bolts were removed. It would also be nice if I could put it together without tools, maybe with wing-nuts or something like that. Then of course the material has to all be rust-proof.

Any suggestions as to what sort of fasteners I should use and maybe links to examples? Thanks.

How about not fastening it to the house. Hammer posts into the ground right up against the house.

Comment

I am planning to put the pen on my deck, not over the ground, which is part of the reason I want the fasteners to be flush. I was planning to connect it to the deck as well as the house. I don't want to take a chance that the cats could get out through any gap between the pen and the house. I also want to screen it in so that no disease-spreading mosquitoes can get in through any gaps so I am really looking at the fasteners.

Comment

use a set of heavy duty hinges with removable pins.

Comment

Originally posted by HayZee518 View Post
          use a set of heavy duty hinges with removable pins.
          Yeah, thanks that's not a nad idea, but I am not crazy about having the half-hinge permanently attached to my house.

Comment

have you tried velcro?

Comment

Working...
            X
            =