Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Baseboard Heaters

I am planning to install some baseboard heaters, the 230 volt type. My question is: They only pull about 6 to 12 amps depending on the kw. How do you protect a circuit with such a low amp draw? I understand the wiring sizes, but the breaker is my concern. Thanks.

#1 check the wattage of the heater. divide this by 240 to get amp draw. 10 amp or less use #14 wire and a 15 amp breaker. 11 amp to 18 amp #12 and a 20 amp breaker.

Comment

Thanks HayZee, yeah I know the calculation part. Just was concerned about the protective device i/e breaker. Some are really low amp draw, but never have seen a breaker rated at 5 amps Thought about inline fuses too, but not sure if that is practical. But I guess in case of failure the wire would heat, and still trip the breaker..hopefully in time. Just trying to keep it safe

Comment

European breakers and wires are sized according to total load. Wires are in millimeters - total diameter. You can get breakers from about 3 amp and up in 1 amp increments in both 120 volt and 230 volt. Some european motors are three phase twelve lead 380 volts. Unfortunately they only fit european panels. some breakers can be DIN track mounted. and just snap on the track. You'd have to supply your own enclosure.

Comment

Problem is, I don't live in Europe

Comment

Most places that sell good electronics have the european breakers. i.e. Newark electronics, Mouser electronics, Allied electronics.

Comment

Ok I will look in to that. Thanks HayZee. The reason being is I want to trip the heater right at point, if a problem occurs.

Comment

Working...
              X
              =