Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Water only gets hot after use

I have a natural gas water heater than when not in use for a while will refuse to put out hot water. We can generally expect moderately warm if we're lucky. However, if it has been used throughout the day (dishwasher run, other people take showers, etc.) it does great and puts out very hot water. I don't know anything about water heaters but it seems like maybe a thermostat or something that isn't kicking the heat source back on when the temp drops. I've also seen a lot online about dip tubes failing. Any suggestions as to what might be causing this problem? Is there any way I can troubleshoot to figure out the issue. Thanks.

At first guess I would sat the thermostat, but I would troubleshoot to be sure...
    I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night.
    Now I can Plumb!

For great information on the history of sanitary sewers including the use of Redwood Pipe
    Visit http://www.sewerhistory.org/
    Did you know some Redwood Pipe is still in service today.

Comment

I would check the Theromsstat.

Comment

Does anyone have any troubleshooting suggestions on how I would go about checking the thermostat? It obviously functions at some point or we would never have hot water. How could I determine if the thermostat is bad? Thanks.

Comment

What is the temperature of the water leaving the water heater?
          Not at the fixture....
          When the water at the fixture isn't hot enough, is the water coming out of the water heater cooler?
          I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night.
          Now I can Plumb!

For great information on the history of sanitary sewers including the use of Redwood Pipe
          Visit http://www.sewerhistory.org/
          Did you know some Redwood Pipe is still in service today.

Comment

Working...
          X
          =