Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shed question: skids or piers?

I've seen two methods for standing a shed: skids on gravel, or piers set in concrete. I've never seen a comparison of one method vs. the other.

I'm planning an 8x12 shed, pitched roof, walk-in door on the long wall, double-door on a gable end, couple of windows, nothing too fancy.

So, piers sunk in concrete, or 4x4 skids on a gravel bed? Pros and cons (besides digging post holes or hauling gravel, I mean.)
    Bill in Kansas City, MO

Measure with a micrometer
    Mark with a crayon
    Cut with an axe.

Wow, nothing? The really surprises me.

Ah well...leaning toward piers (footings) anyway, since post holes and a bit of concrete I think would be cheaper than forty cubic feet of gravel and two 12' 4x4s. I'm also familiar with post holes, having dug many in my time.
    Bill in Kansas City, MO

Measure with a micrometer
    Mark with a crayon
    Cut with an axe.

Comment

Originally posted by seamlyne View Post
      I've seen two methods for standing a shed: skids on gravel, or piers set in concrete. I've never seen a comparison of one method vs. the other.

I'm planning an 8x12 shed, pitched roof, walk-in door on the long wall, double-door on a gable end, couple of windows, nothing too fancy.

So, piers sunk in concrete, or 4x4 skids on a gravel bed? Pros and cons (besides digging post holes or hauling gravel, I mean.)
      Might want to check codes. Where i am at a building on footers, you pay taxes on.
      Building on skids on gravel is a temporary building no taxes. I had one on skids for 24 years, worked fine. Paul

Comment

I guess it depends on a couple of issues, like soil type, frost depth, existing grade of the land.

Posts need to be concreted below your local frost lines or they will heave up.
        Soil type will dictate the ease of digging the holes, jack wax clay would make digging a 4' hole miserable etc...

Skid installation is very easy and quick but often you get some movement in the floor with weight.

Posts will obviously restrict any movement but you will need three spread over the 12' and two over the 8' = a minimum of 6 posts.
        Little about a lot and a lot about a little.
        Every day is a learning day.

Comment

Working...
        X
        =