Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• vinyl paper backing under tile and hardwood

I've started the process of installing pre-finished hardwood flooring in out entire downstairs. Right in front of the outside door, we are putting down a small ceramic tile inlay. This will have 1/4" cement backer board then thinset, then tile. Where the tile will go, is currently vinyl flooring, as is the kitchen. The rest of the house is carpet. When I took up the vinyl where the tile will go, a layer of the paper backing is left and comes up VERY hard. Is it okay to leave this under the cement backer board? How about under the hardwood flooring?

Yes as long as it's reasonably level leave it in place trowel out some thinset mortar and screw down your backerboard over the top of it.
    Same for the hardwood flooring as long as it's reasonably level your good to go.
    Little about a lot and a lot about a little.
    Every day is a learning day.

Comment

Personally I would advise against leaving the paper backing there if you are intending to put some money into a nice hardwood floor. It would be most unfortunate if the flooring where to wind up less then level. Worse yet, the new flooring could end up with a poor bond--in the event you use a type of flooring that requires an adhesive for installation--the causes it to raise and thus you wind up with an absolute mess to deal with.

Comment

My bathroom hardwood floor needs to get repaired, These days I have heard a lot about bamboo hardwood and its advantages I have contact a online professional service available for flooring. Are Porcelain Tile’s give's a budget advantage if yes I defiantly try it.

Hardwood Refinishing Services

Comment

You could leave it there as long as the floor stays level but it really comes down to how you feel leaving it there. If you are not comfortable with it left there for whatever reason then remove it.
          A fool-proof furnace repair manual...

Comment

Working...
          X
          =